1. The problem, briefly stated
We need an easy, secure and efficient way to store all our files:
- individual user files (backup)
- shared project files (centralized storage and backup)
- old user and project files (centralized storage and backup)
2. Current specifications our backup system
Most people use Bionet to backup their files.
- Storage space (as of 2007-01-16):
- total: 110GB
- used: 86GB
- available: 24GB
- Where is it physically located?
- Building 68, 3rd floor
- Are Bionet files regularly copied and stored somewhere else?
- Yes, to the MIT datacenter in W91.
- Problems with Bionet:
- Not enough space to backup all our files e.g. microscope images
- Isn't Bionet not going to be backed up anymore?
3. Ideal specifications of our future backup system
(lab and individual data storage, sharing and backup needs - please list what would you like have available)
- Capacity: we want to be able to store all files in a single location
- Easy: automatic backup
- Secure: the backup system shouldn't be located in building 68, in case of a fire
- Efficient backing up or retrieving files should be speedy