- 1 For Monday, January 28th, 2013
- 2 For Monday, February 4th, 2013
- 3 For Monday, February 11th, 2013
- 4 For Monday, February 18th, 2013
- 5 For Monday, February 25th, 2013
- 6 For Monday, March 4th, 2013
For Monday, January 28th, 2013
- Register to use the OpenWetWare Wiki.
- Learn how to edit pages.
- Play around in the WIki sandbox.
- Add your name to the CH391L Users page.
- Leave at least one comment on the Talk page or make at least one addition to either Introduction to Synthetic Biology or Ethics of synthetic biology.
- Add at least one event to the "Timeline of Synthetic Biology" in the Introduction to Synthetic Biology with a link or citation.
- Read articles for discussion:
- Ethics of synthetic biology (Neil)
- DIY Biology Movement (John)
- BioBricks and the iGEM registry (Tyler)
For Monday, February 4th, 2013
Papers for Discussion
- Playing God in Frankenstein's Footsteps: Synthetic Biology and the Meaning of Life
- Outlaw, hackers, victorian amateurs: diagnosing public participation in the life sciences today pdf
For DIY Biology
- Kelly JR, Rubin AJ, Davis JH, Ajo-Franklin CM, Cumbers J, Czar MJ, de Mora K, Glieberman AL, Monie DD, and Endy D. Measuring the activity of BioBrick promoters using an in vivo reference standard. J Biol Eng. 2009 Mar 20;3:4. DOI:10.1186/1754-1611-3-4 |
For Monday, February 11th, 2013
- CAD for Synthetic Biology (Kevin)
- Chris Yellman and Randy Hughes will discuss the paper for DNA Assembly: From Genes to Genomes
Papers for Discussion
- Gibson DG, Benders GA, Andrews-Pfannkoch C, Denisova EA, Baden-Tillson H, Zaveri J, Stockwell TB, Brownley A, Thomas DW, Algire MA, Merryman C, Young L, Noskov VN, Glass JI, Venter JC, Hutchison CA 3rd, and Smith HO. Complete chemical synthesis, assembly, and cloning of a Mycoplasma genitalium genome. Science. 2008 Feb 29;319(5867):1215-20. DOI:10.1126/science.1151721 |
Complete chemical synthesis, assembly, and cloning of a Mycoplasma genitalium genome.
- Minimal / "clean" genomes (Evan)
- Ancestral sequence reconstruction (Aurko)
- Directed protein evolution (Max)
- Functional Nucleic Acids --Alvaro E. Rodriguez M. 21:50, 27 January 2013 (EST)
For Monday, February 18th, 2013
- Biocontainment (Thomas)
- Bioprospecting / Metagenomics (Andre)
- New Marker Genes (Ben)
For Monday, February 25th, 2013
- Optogenetics (Sid)
- TBD (Larry)
- Riboswitches (Kate)
For Monday, March 4th, 2013
- TBD (Jeremy)
- Biological material assembly and patterning - Belcher virus work (Marco)