BME103:T930 Group 2 l2

From OpenWetWare
Revision as of 10:12, 28 November 2012 by Aaron A Cornejo (talk | contribs) (Protocols)
Jump to: navigation, search
Owwnotebook icon.png BME 103 Fall 2012 Home
Lab Write-Up 1
Lab Write-Up 2
Lab Write-Up 3
Course Logistics For Instructors
Wiki Editing Help
BME494 Asu logo.png


Ryan Sullivan
Research Development Scientist
Miriam Y Acosta
PCR Machine Engineer
Ryan Keeney
PCR Machine Engineer
Juliana Ramos
Experimental Protocol Planner
Aaron Cornejo
Experimental Protocol Planner


Thermal Cycler Engineering

Our re-design is based upon the Open PCR system originally designed by Josh Perfetto and Tito Jankowski.

System Design

Key Features




Supplied in the Kit Amount
Open PCR Machine 1
10 μM Forward Primer 16.0 μL
10 μM Reverse Primer 16.0 μL
GoTaq Master Mix 800.0 μL
dH2O 764.8 μL
Eppendorf Tubes 16
Fluorimeter 1
Teflon Glass Slides 16
Allen Wrench 1
Operations Manual 1
Supplied by User Amount
Screwdriver 1
Template DNA (20ng) 3.2 μL
Micro-Pipetter 1
Camera Phone 1

PCR Protocol

DNA Measurement Protocol


Research and Development

Background on Disease Markers

  • Sample A

Sickle Cell Anemia

rs35685286 [Homo sapiens]


Chromosome 11- single nucleotide variation

  • Sample B

Sickle Cell Anemia

rs34430836 [Homo sapiens]


Chromosome 11- single nucleotide variation

Disease Description

Sickle cell anemia is an inherited blood disorder characterized primarily by chronic anemia and periodic episodes of pain. The underlying problem involves hemoglobin, a component of red blood cells. Hemoglobin molecules in each red blood cell carry oxygen from the lungs to body organs and tissues and bring carbon dioxide back to the lungs.

In sickle cell anemia, the hemoglobin is defective. After hemoglobin molecules give up their oxygen, some may cluster together and form long, rod-like structures. These structures cause red blood cells to become stiff and assume a sickle shape.

Unlike normal red cells, which are usually smooth and donut-shaped, sickled red cells cannot squeeze through small blood vessels. Instead, they stack up and cause blockages that deprive organs and tissues of oxygen-carrying blood. This process produces periodic episodes of pain and ultimately can damage tissues and vital organs and lead to other serious medical problems. Normal red blood cells live about 120 days in the bloodstream, but sickled red cells die after about 10 to 20 days. Because they cannot be replaced fast enough, the blood is chronically short of red blood cells, a condition called anemia.


Sickle cell anemia is an autosomal recessive genetic disorder caused by a defect in the HBB gene, which codes for hemoglobin. The presence of two defective genes (SS) is needed for sickle cell anemia. If each parent carries one sickle hemoglobin gene (S) and one normal gene (A), each child has a 25% chance of inheriting two defective genes and having sickle cell anemia; a 25% chance of inheriting two normal genes and not having the disease; and a 50% chance of being an unaffected carrier like the parents.


Primer Design

  • Sample A

rs35685286 [Homo sapiens]



  • Sample B

rs34430836 [Homo sapiens]