BIOL398-01/S10:Class Journal Week 12

From OpenWetWare
Revision as of 23:47, 18 April 2010 by Alex J. George (talk | contribs)

Salomon Garcia

  1. The purpose of the assignment was to familiarize ourselves with the data gathered by van de Mortel et al. With there data we are to analyze the data in a way that has been showed to us by Dr. Dahlquist using Microsoft Excel.
  2. From this assignment I learned how to reuse some of the applications of excel and learned how to manipulate columns of data with a touch of button and inserting several formulas in order to come up with the data required for us to move forward.
  3. The only thing that I'm still a bit confused was if we are to do the log based function for all of the data acquired. Thus far that's what I've done to it.

(Salomon Garcia Valencia 23:35, 18 April 2010 (EDT))

Angela Garibaldi

Alex George

  1. This assignment's purpose was to further analyze the data that is associated with our paper by using the raw data and making our own calculations
  2. I definitely learned some useful shortcuts on Excel through this assignment. Also, it gave us the chance to see the kind of work that goes on behind the scenes of a scientific paper. I felt like our study wasn't even that comprehensive, but the amount of data associated with it was staggering.
  3. As for questions for this assignment, I am slowly understanding the calculations we are doing and the purpose behind them. However, I am still unsure of a proper experimental question to design our data analysis around.

Alex J. George 02:47, 19 April 2010 (EDT)

J'aime Moehlman

  1. The purpose of this assignment was to change the raw data we were given into the genMAPP formatted version and the sclaed versions that we will be using this week. We analyzed the formatted data by using excel.
  2. This weeks assignment really gave me a chance to learn how to use excel. Parts of it were a little bit frustrating because I'm not very good at using excel other than for very basic functions, but I think that I did get a hang of it once I started.
  3. My concern for this weeks assignment has to do with the fact that I don't think I found the proper data, because while using the template on what to do, it said we should have about 261 genes and I only found 5. Also, I'm not sure what the Tstat columns were used for.

J'aime C. Moehlman 00:53, 19 April 2010 (EDT) Week 12 Assignment

KP Ramirez

  1. The purpose of this assignment was to prepare our raw data into the formatted and scaled versions that would be used for next weeks GenMAPP program. This was different for me because I have never used Afymetrix data, so it was different to get used to what was already given and what was missing.
  2. This week allowed me to work with Excel again and format columns that were not specified to our data and create new ones. We redid some columns with a log base 2 as well as added the system code column and began formatting.
  3. I did have a couple of questions this week. I wasn't sure what columns would be used to do the Tstat as well as Pvalues.

KP Ramirez 7:14 am April 18 Individual week 12

Michael Piña

1. The purpose of this assignment was to get the data from the papers that we read and manipulate it in order to be able to run it through the analysis software for next week. While processing our data we should also begin to see some correlation between the numbers and what our paper found as important.

2. I learned a few new tricks in Excel this week. I predict that during this next week I'll learn about many of the different pathways involved in heavy metal poisoning of A. thaliana

3. I was not able to finish all of the excel processing this week because I didn't know how to continue from processing all of the average log changes in regards to our specific data. I should have gone in to office hours last week to resolve this issue but I really didn't have time. I will resolve this issue as quickly as possible.

Individual Week 12

Michael R. Pina 01:53, 19 April 2010 (EDT)

Janelle N. Ruiz

Bobak Seddighzadeh

Amanda Wavrin

1. The purpose of this assignment was to begin our work with our Merrel et al. Vibrio cholerae project. Completing this assignment allowed us to start working with our own DNA microarray data, the data that is specific to our paper on V. cholerae. Our dataset is now in GenMAPP version so we will be able to use them in lab this week. 2. While completing this assignment I got a much better understand of how to analyze DNA microarray data while using excel. Having not a lot of background using excel, it was difficult to complete this assignment at first. After a little work using excel, it became much easier. 3. While following the instructions for this weeks assignment, I ran into some problems using excel. My computed p values did not match up with the expected results, leading me to beleive that I made a mistake using excel along the way. I also had a difficult time creating and filling the "tstat" columns. The equations were not working as I had expected them too.

Amanda N. Wavrin 02:43, 19 April 2010 (EDT)

Ryan Willhite

Kristoffer Chin

  1. The purpose of this assignment was to help us understand the data that we are working with with the DNA Microarray. It helps organize the data and understand the meaning of the numbers that are given to us in the XLS files. WE are also able to understand what the researched are actually looking at and which are significants
  2. I was able to practice my excel skills again. It helped me learn a little bit more on excel and the capabilities it has on data
  3. I am still having problem in reading the data in some ways. I am also having a problem on how I should be organizing the data so that it can be easily understandable. I need to find some kind of organization pattern that can easily be read.

--Kristoffer T. Chin 01:39, 19 April 2010 (EDT)

BIOL398-01/S10:Week 12

Kristoffer Chin: Week 12