Department of Chemistry and Applied Biosciences
Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences / Pharmacogenomics Unit
Wolfgang Pauli-Strasse 10
Google Maps link
- Dec 2011: Molecular Life Sciences, Ph.D., ETH Zurich, Switzerland
- Mar 2007: Medical Biochemistry, M.Sc., University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Jul 2004: Molecular Biotechnology, B.Sc., Technical University of Munich, Germany
I am interested in post-transcriptional regulatory networks, particularly the regulation of mRNA translation, localization and stability by RNA-binding proteins and non-coding RNAs. In our lab we are studying the dynamics of mRNPs in yeast and human cell lines, and we hope that our work will contribute to the deciphering of the "mRNP code".
I am a grad student in the Gerber Lab at the ETH Zurich, working on post-transcriptional gene regulation, and was recruited through the Molecular Life Sciences program of the Life Science Zurich Graduate School.
Tentative title of the project: "Systematic Analysis of the Crosstalk between Regulatory RNA-Binding Proteins and the MicroRNA Machinery".
I am an initiator of the RNA Club Zurich and the (currently defunct) Zurich-based "Web Utilities and Software Seminar". Furthermore I maintain the web presence of the Gerber Lab (currently moving to the UK).
- 2004-2005 - Seppen Lab, AMC Liver Center, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands: "Lentiviral Gene Transfer of Chemically Inducible Hepatocyte Growth Factor Receptor and Liver Re-Targeting of Lentiviral Particles" / Supervisors: Dr. Jurgen Seppen, Prof. Ronald P.J. Oude-Elferink
- 2004 - Skerra Lab, Institute of Biological Chemistry, Technical University of Munich, Germany: "Production and characterization of the enzymatically active domain of the endolysine Ply500 isolated from Listeria monocytogenes-bacteriophage A 500" / Supervisors: Dr. Ingo P. Korndörfer, Prof. Arne Skerra
- Kanitz A and Gerber AP. Circuitry of mRNA regulation. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Systems Biology and Medicine 2009 Sep 30. doi: 10.1002/wsbm.55
- Galgano A, Forrer M, Jaskiewicz L, Kanitz A, Zavolan M, and Gerber AP. Comparative analysis of mRNA targets for human PUF-family proteins suggests extensive interaction with the miRNA regulatory system. PLoS One. 2008 Sep 8;3(9):e3164. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0003164 |
- Korndörfer IP, Kanitz A, Danzer J, Zimmer M, Loessner MJ, and Skerra A. Structural analysis of the L-alanoyl-D-glutamate endopeptidase domain of Listeria bacteriophage endolysin Ply500 reveals a new member of the LAS peptidase family. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2008 Jun;64(Pt 6):644-50. DOI:10.1107/S0907444908007890 |
- Markusic DM, Kanitz A, Oude-Elferink RP, and Seppen J. Preferential gene transfer of lentiviral vectors to liver-derived cells, using a hepatitis B peptide displayed on GP64. Hum Gene Ther. 2007 Jul;18(7):673-9. DOI:10.1089/hum.2007.027 |
<iframe width="260" height="130" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://www.29travels.com/getmap.php?j=AEATBECACHCZDEDKESFRGRHUIDINITKHLUMCMYNLPHSGSMTHUSVA&c=cc3af0ea&w=260&h=130"></iframe><br /><div style="width:650px;padding-left:3px;text-align:left;font-size:10px"><small>Countries I have visited.</a></small></div>
<a href="http://www4.clustrmaps.com/user/c84798ac"><img src="http://www4.clustrmaps.com/stats/maps-no_clusters/openwetware.org-wiki-Alexander_Kanitz-thumb.jpg" alt="Locations of visitors to this page" />