20.109(S13): old announcements
Sent April 4th to W/F only:
The OD values for your O/N cultures are on the Day5 Talk page. Hopefully I read Shannon's handwriting okay :)
Note that the really large OD values are *not* typos. Some of the cells took off, perhaps losing the plasmid along the way, and as a result, the protein color got diluted out among all the cells and debris. Shannon thought to spot-check these poor looking pellets by fluorescence microscopy, and it became apparent then that there was indeed some fluorescent protein there.
Sent April 4th to T/R only:
I wanted to assure you that all of the pellets that grew O/N turned greenish/yellowish, even though some stayed at a pretty low OD. Sorry I forgot to post that info on the Talk page! Will do so tomorrow morning.
Sent March 30th:
"For the M2D4 FNT, is the schematic purely for our mutant design? Or is it for the whole module experiment (including mutagenesis, transformation, protein expression, titration, etc.)?"
I thought many of you might be interested in the answer to the question above. We're only asking for a figure showing your mutant design strategy, i.e., for you to define the two mutants in a way that highlights why they might be of interest. We're not interested in seeing the experimental steps even for SDM, much less for all of Module 2. I apologize for any ambiguity in the FNT wording.
- Per requests: Shannon will hold an office hour tonight (Tuesday, March 12) from 9-10 pm in the lab (or the lunchroom across from the lab).
- Pre-lab report office hours
- Agi's OH will be on Sunday and Monday (3/10 and 3/11) from 2:30-4:30 pm, in 16-336. (I may be taking public transportation in on Sunday, and apologize in advance if I am a little late.)
- Shannon's OH will be on Sunday afternoon (just stop by 56-389) and Monday evening 7:30-9:30pm in the lab.
- The M1D5 Reagent List has been updated with the exact name of the Qiagen kit. Also, an earlier class email defining the gull samples is now reproduced on the M1D2 Talk page. AgiStachowiak 15:11, 10 March 2013 (EDT)
- Shannon will hold an office hour in the lab on Tuesday evening (2/26) from 7:30-8:30pm.
- Reminder: Shannon will hold office hours in the lab (56-322) from 11am-12pm today, and Agi will hold office hours in 16-319 from 3:30-4:30 pm. Hope to see some of y'all there!
- Wording was corrected in question #1 of the M1D3 FNT, from "gel extraction" to "DNA extraction."
- FYI -- here is a link to Marilee's presentation about writing a research paper from Wed, Feb 13. Shannon Hughes 15:03, 15 February 2013 (EST)
- Hi folks -- I hope that you all found your figure assignments okay within the M1D3 protocol. I wanted to make clear that the FNT slide is to be done with your partner rather than alone, and that it does not need to be handed in at the beginning of class. You do need to have an electronic copy available during class to revise and ultimately present. AgiStachowiak 16:25, 13 February 2013 (EST)
- The first module-based quiz will now be held on M1D3 instead of M1D2, that is, on Thursday and Friday of this coming week. Both M1D1 and M1D2 material will be covered. AgiStachowiak 20:27, 9 February 2013 (EST)