840:153g:Projects/project5/2009/03/03

From OpenWetWare
Jump to: navigation, search
Owwnotebook icon.png Team gNarLy prom-Oters Report.pngMain project page
Resultset previous.pngPrevious entry      Next entryResultset next.png

DNA Extraction

  • After looking over the new project, it was time to start. The first step was to actually obtain the DNA from the plant, so today was the DNA extraction. We ran into a few hang ups here and there. Nothing serious, the plant extract wouldn't pippet very well, and when we centrifuged the extract after adding chloroform, there was some floating stuff on the top that ended up getting in the way of us obtaining the layer we needed.
  • We obtained enough of the extraction to continue on, dispite the issues. But we ended up taking far too long in this whole procedure, so we're going to finish it up on Thursday, and run a sample through a gel to make sure there's DNA.