Return to WinterVomitingLab
Preparation of a 10-20% suspension of virus stock from a stool (or vomit) sample.
- stool or vomit
- To 2 ml screw-cap tubes, add 750 µl of PBS.
- If the sample is solid or semi-solid, add a pea-sized (~0.1 g) of stool to the PBS. If it is mostly liquid and can be pipetted, add 0.1 ml to the PBS.
- Vortex thoroughly for ~ 1 min.
- Centrifuge for 10 min at 10,000 rpm in a microcentrifuge.
- Collect the stool suspension (supernatant). Note: the pellet can be retained and re-extracted later as it likely will still contain high levels of virus.
- Stool suspensions can be used immediately or otherwise stored (in aliquots) at -70°C.
Relevant papers and books
- Who has experience with this protocol?
or instead, discuss this protocol.