NOV 19- Zeolite
- To run a timed experiment using zeolite
- Synthesize beads
Michael represented AMT for the synthesize of beads the following are his notes
Create a bead synthesis process that produces larger quantities of polymer/clay beads.
- Create a solution of 2.5 g PVA, 0.275 g NaMT, and 30 mL 10% HCl.
- Place this solution on a hot plate and heat/stir until everything has dissolved.
- Add 10 mL of this solution to a 50 mL solution of ethyl acetate stirring at 240 rpm in a dropwise manner.
- Add 1 mL of glutaraldehyde and stir at 260 rpm for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, add 1 mL of glutaraldehyde and stir at 300 rpm for 2 minutes.
- After 7 minutes, add 7 mL of sodium bicarbonate and stir for 30 seconds.
- Remove the solution, put it into 2 50 mL Falcon tubes.
- Centrifuge the solutions for 1 minute at 3000 rpm.
- Pipette all of the liquid out of the tubes and replace with deionized water.
- Andrew and myself worked on the zeolite experiment
- Dr. Hartings previously weighed out ~10mg of zeolite for the class.
- The table below list the weights of zeolite used for each time period.
- The concentrations of MG absorbed were calculated in the below image