Synthesis of Manganese PPIX
- Today, Dhea and I are going to synthesize MnPPIX in DMF under the presence of nitrogen. We are going to follow the Adler protocol for the synthesis, as I did back in 2012.
- 50 mL of DMF was brought to reflux in a 19/22 round bottom flask with a 100 V Volt-ac heating pad with a stir bar under the presence of N2 gas
- 499.3 mg of PPIX was measured out and added to the DMF once the DMF began to reflux
- 364.1 mg of Manganese Acetate was measured out and dissolved in a minimum volume of DMF
- The Manganese dissolved in DMF was added to the refluxing solution using a needle and a syringe
- The solution was let reflux for 30 minutes
- The solution was then removed from the heating pad and placed in an ice bath for 15 minutes
- 500 mL of chilled water was then added and let chill for 10 minutes
- The solution was then filtered with a vacuum setup and rinsed with water
- The filter paper was determined to be 0.1058 grams before filtration.
- Adler, Alan D. On the preparation of metalloporphyrins. Journal of Inorganic Nuclear Chemistry, Vol.32. 1970.