Calibration Curves for Malachite Green Stock Solutions
- After saving the data from the data print table with the correct wavelength range (200-800nm), the absorbance at 423 and 617 nm of malachite green were plotted against the concentrations 0.2, 0.5, 1.1, 1.4, 1.7, and 2.0 ppm using MS Excel. The trendline function of MS Excel was used to calculate the linear regression equation for the curves.
- The absorbance values for each concentration are provided in the table.
Calibration Curves of Malachite Green concentrations; 0.2, 0.5, 1.1, 1.4, 1.7, and 2.0 ppm, at 423 and 617 nm
Cross-linking and Neutralizing Batch 3 Films
- This assignment was delegated to Jacob Esenther. He performed the procedure as stated in the cross-linking protocol.
- After the films were neutralized with the sodium bicarbonate solution, the films were suspended in distilled with the previous films synthesized in the same brown, nalgene jar.
Batch 4 Film Synthesis
- 0.9997g of white, granular solid, PVA was weighed and dissolved into 7 mL of distilled water to for PVA film casting.
- 0.1038g of yellow, crystalline, sodium montmorillonite was added to 1.0142g PVA. These compounds were dissolved into 7 mL of distilled water to produce PVA + clay film.
- The conditions applied for the film synthesis were taken from the 8/29/14 protcol.
Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC) of Sample Films with absorbed Malachite Green (MG)
Preparation of Sample Pans with Hermetic Lids
- Films that were suspended in malachite green solutions (08/29/2014) were individually taken out from their scintillating vials.
- Incised approximate 3 mg portions from each film; each film was transferred to a Tzero pan and sealed with a hermetic lid.
Conditions for the DSC
- The instrument used for conducting the DSC runs is DSC Q2000 with an attached refrigerated cooling system.
- The control for the DSC runs is an empty Tzero pan with a sealed hermetic lid placed at position, reference 2 (R2). This pan weighs 52.25 mg.
- From the CONTROL option on the interface, the following settings were chosen under the summary tab:
- Mode: modulated
- Pan: Tzero Al hermetic
- For the procedure tab:
- Test: custom
- Method: Cell Constant Calibration
- Click Append to apply all conditions for the following DSC runs.
- It is important to modify the last run to include external events off.
- After all conditions were set, the green/go button was clicked to run the events.
Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR) of MG sample films
- The IR spectrum, below, was obtained with an attenuated total reflectance (ATR) as the sample holder.
Polyvinyl Alcohol Films with Absorbed Malachite Green Concentrations; 0.2, 0.5, 1.1, 1.4, 1.7, and 2.0 ppm
Polyvinyl Alcohol and Sodium Montmorillonite Films with Absorbed Malachite Green Concentrations; 0.2, 0.5, 1.1, 1.4, 1.7, and 2.0 ppm