CHEM-581 Experimental Chemistry I
Things we're interested in:
- Thermo & Equilibrium -> are these films high capacity?
- Wet chemistry heavy metal ions
- Kinetics -> how quickly do these films absorb things? Needs to happen fast
- These things will make a viable pollution absorption filter
- TO PUBLISH BEAD SYNTHESIS
- Lots of samples, testing kinetics and thermodynamics with malachite green and R6G
- Measurements we need to make
- mg analyte/mass polymer
- How do we make these measurements relevant?
- Compare equilibrium and kinetics of our beads (25-30 min for total absorption) to other systems (other types of beads like PVA only, films, other absorbants like activated carbon **standard** and zeolite)
- How do we make these measurements accurately?
- Stock solutions same across all groups
- Measure solution every single day used (too account for absorbance of dye into surface of container)
- Same calibration curves across all groups
- To determine mass used: dehydrate (measure mass and rehydrate... maybe), make samples & dry out & mass
- 1 sample for every time interval measurement (10 measurments > 10 samples, 1 sample/time increment)
- Extra measurements we need for paper:
- BET (surface area measurement)
- "bead size" determined by microscope
- X-ray diffraction