User:M Jaffe/Notebook/Au Nanofibers with Rhodamine/2016/03/29

From OpenWetWare

Jump to: navigation, search
Project name Main project page
Previous entry      Next entry

Objective

Our attempts at making fibers failed again. Today's objective is to make AuNP fibers using lysozyme and BSA and the ratio of gold to lysozyme was increased again.

Protocol

All of the fibers that I made yesterday formed AuNP. Today, we decided to decrease the amount of lysozyme in our samples in order to encourage better fiber formation. We changed the ratio of lysozyme:gold from 1:45 to 1:60.

We also decided to try making fibers using BSA because BSA might also encourage better fiber formation. The ratio of BSA:gold that we used was 1:120.

Additionally, we decided to make a batch of 9 lysozyme and 9 BSA samples to incubate in Rhodamine for 2 hours. We also decided to make a batch of 9 lysozyme and 9 BSA samples to incubate in Rhodamine for 24 hours. We made a batch of 7 lysozyme and 7 BSA samples ("blanks") that we will use to make a standard curve for the concentration of Rhodamine as a function of its UV-Vis absorbance.

The following reagents we used were as follows:

We made the lysozyme samples as follows:

We were going to make the BSA samples so that they would have a total volume of 10mL, but I screwed up and added too much water, so we made the samples so that they would have a total volume of 12.9mL. We made the BSA samples as follows:

We then incubated the samples at 80 degrees Celsius for 4 hours.

Tomorrow, we will incubate samples for 2 and 24 hours. NOTE: We will have to adjust the volume of Rhodamine so that the final concentrations are 10, 5, and 2┬ÁM of Rhodamine in the samples for the BSA samples. I factored this in to our spreadsheet. We will also make both standard curves and then measure the absorbance of the 2 hour samples. We will measure the 24 hour samples on Thursday.



Personal tools