Transect 5: Hay Infusion Observation
- The smell of the container and its content was that of dirty water which had been sitting for too long.
- The first observation was made from the top of the container, which had a thin film as seen in the first picture below. It was also noted that the denser objects were settled at the bottom, like the soil. The plants collected were bigger pieces, reaching from the top of the container where the water level reached to the bottom; life found closer to the plants are probably dependent on what the plant produces. Overall, the water in the container was also very murky and moldy.
- Using the dichotomous key, several organisms were identified. The first one was volvox, which are green and appear to have several cells within one circle one. Volvox photosynthesize and have a flagella for movement. This type of algae measured about 420 micrometers. Blepharisma was also found; these protozoa were lanky compared to the volvox. They had a tint of color which was rather neutral, and one measured to be about 230 micrometers. This organism does not photosynthesize. Next, another protozoa was identified, Euplotes. This organism does not photosynthesize and one measure to be 50 micrometers. Like the other protozoa, this organism was also motile and had little hairlike structures around its cell to help it move. After, Oscillatoria, a green, long, photosynthesizing organism, was identified. This organism is similar to the volvox in that they live colony like, and can move as a unit toward a light source. Lastly, Colpidium was found within the sample from the Hay Infusion. It is an oval shaped organism with hairlike structure surrounding its outside. This protozoa does not photosynthesize, but instead eats bacteria. One sample measured about 62 micrometers.
- If the culture continued to grow for two more months, I would expect to see the amount of "life" to grow at a decent pace and then level off and die down as resources begin to diminish.
Transect 5: Serial Dilution
The following is a diagram of the serial dilution performed using broth and a 100 micrometer sample from the Hay Infusion.
- Place some notes here for visitors
- Example: This project is currently on hold until further notice.