- Remake films with phenol at correct ratios
- purify quaternary ammonium and NMR
Calculations for 10% phenol film and 10% phenol stock solution
- 1.373E22 OH groups in 1 gram of pooh × 0.1= 1.373E21
- 1.373E21 ÷ 6.022E23 × 94.124 g/mol= 0.214 grams
- Make film1 with .214grams of phenol 10ml of water and 1 ml of gluataraldehyde and 1 gram of pooh
- Make a stock solution of 10ml of water and .214 grams of phenol= 21.4 Molar of phenol = 10% reacts with OH groups on PVOH
- Dilute from this solution to make 1%, 0.1% and 0.01% solution using m1v1=m2v2 equation
- film 2-1%: 1ml of stock add to film with 10ml water, 1 gram of pva, 1ml of glutaraldehyde
- film 3-.1%: .1ml of stock add to film with 10ml water, 1 gram of pva, 1 ml of glutaraldehyde
- film 4-.01%: .01ml of stock add to film with 10 ml water, 1 gram of pva, 1 ml of glutaraldyde
- Film 5- 7%: 7 ml of stock add to film with 10ml water 1 gram of pva, 1 ml of glutaraldehyde because 10% film failed with 10ml of water it evaporate off to quick
- film 5- 1%: 1ml of stock add to film with 10ml water 1 gram of pva, 1ml of glutaraldehyde because 1% evaporated off to fast so made another one
- stirred all contents of film on heat under fume hood to have them dissolve and this poured them into their respective dish
- mass of phenol was weighed under fume hood toxic
- determined best to use an Erlenmeyer flask instead of beaker for mixing
Quaternary Ammonium Salt Purification
- Turn off the heat on the round bottom flask containing the reaction and remove from the heating mantle.
- Fill a beaker with 100 mL ethyl acetate.
- Place on ice.
- Add the product drop-wise
- Filter and collect precipitate
- reaction failed was unable to purify. will discuss on monday as to other way to attach a quaternary ammonium to pva with fox
- reaction failed most likely due to the age of the starting material or decrease in strength of the leaving group Cl- compared to Br- for this reaction