February 4, 2015
- Extract benzophenone from solution
- Analyze the products of the reaction
- Set up Alicia's polymerization reaction
1. The round bottom was removed from the schlenk line and
- excess water was not added to the reaction mixture to stop it because the liquid evaporated.
- Possibly evaporated because the reaction continued past 8 hours.
- The solid product was dissolved in 1.5 mL ethyl acetate and centrifuged to recover the gold-lysozyme nanoparticles.
2. TLC Analysis
- A small drop of the sample was analyzed using thin layer chromatography and compared to the mixture before the addition of the catalyst.
- So far it seems as though benzophenone formed as a product but the yield was not high.
- In the future, more Au:Lys nanoparticles should be added (possibly 2 mLs) and the reaction mixture should be constantly monitored so that it does not evaporate.