User:Jennifer Lauren Marsocci/Notebook/Biology 210 at AU

From OpenWetWare

Jump to: navigation, search

Zebrafish, February 4th

Like last week, we fed and took care of our zebrafish. By the end of this week, there was only one fish alive, and it was in the experimental group. The other dead fish have begun to dissolve and disintegrate into their wells.

The link to my instagram page with photos and videos of Biology 210 Labs:

Jlaurbiology Instagram

JLM


Zebrafish, Week 2 Performed February 26

Over the course of this week, we observed, fed, and took care of our zebrafish. Every day they were fed brine shrimp, had floating particles taken out, and had notes taken on them. Overall, we began to see a decline in live fish over the course of the week, which could have been due to the small wells they were living in. The control group had less deaths than the experimental group. There are some pictures of the developing fish on the link below.

The link to my instagram page with photos and videos of Biology 210 Labs:

Jlaurbiology Instagram

JLM

Zebrafish Experiment PERFORMED FEBRUARY 19TH 2016


This week, we set up our zebrafish embryos for observation over the week. 20 Zebrafish embryos (at about stage 10 of development) were placed in a control group, with only water. Another set of 20 were placed in an estrogen mimic solution as our control group. Throughout the week we will continue to go back to the lab to check on them, remove their egg case, and add more water if it evaporates. Attached is my instagram account with pictures of the setup, and a developed zebrafish.

The link to my instagram page with photos and videos of Biology 210 Labs:

Jlaurbiology Instagram

JLM

Invertebrates, Week 6 February 17 2016

This week, we set up a Bernese funnel, which is a funnel that is filled with debris from out transect, including dirt, leaves, sticks, and other organic material that funnels small organisms into ethanol.. After waiting a week, we took samples from the top and bottom of the ethanol tube and but them in different petri dishes to observe. We used a dissecting microscope to identify the organisms. Pictures and descriptions of these organisms can be found on the instagram account linked below, along with an invertebrate description table.


The link to my instagram page with photos and videos of Biology 210 Labs:

Jlaurbiology Instagram

JLM

Plants and Fungi, Week 5 February 10 2016

The link to my instagram page with photos and videos of Biology 210 Labs:

Jlaurbiology Instagram


JLM

Microbiology and Identifying Bacteria February 2nd 2016

The purpose of this lab was to quantify the number of bacteria in our hay infusions, diversify and observe the bacteria, to test for naturally occurring antibiotic resistance, and to identify the bacteria. PCR and DNA sequencing was done to verify our identificaiton of the bacteria.

For gram stain, bacterial smears were added to slides and then stained and viewed under a microscope. For the PCR amplification, we added primer mixture and the bacterial colony that we wanted to colonize into the tube and shook it up and places it into the PCR machine until next week.

Bacteria Colonization- (White bacteria) round, half-circle dots on plate. Usually larger. Gram positive. (Yellow bacteria) small, flat dots. Gram -


100-Fold Serial Dilutions Results (on instagram)

The link to my instagram page with photos and videos of Biology 210 Labs:

Jlaurbiology Instagram


--Jennifer Lauren Marsocci 17:32, 2 February 2016 (EST)JLM



Protists and Algae January 22 2016


Hay Infusion (After one week) Smells rancid, Something (mold, bacteria) growing on sides.

Protists samples came from the top and bottom of the jar, once split in thirds. This was done to see the different types of algae and protists If the jars were able to sit for longer, they may grow colonies of organisms and reproduce.

  • Rest of entry on google doc*

--Jennifer Lauren Marsocci 17:32, 2 February 2016 (EST)JLM

Personal tools