- The incubator light was on when I came in this morning, suggesting our timer is working.
- I downloaded and installed ActiveState Python IDE and Tcl
- WH8102 cyanobacteria arrived from Woods Hole; Peng, David, and I researched care instructions online.
- We've decided to freeze this stock instead of using it, since WH8102 is supposed to be very hard to work with (hard to grow and hard to genetically manipulate).
- Peng, David, and I obtained PCC7942 and PCC6803 cyanobacteria from Peter Wiegele at MIT.
- We made 1L of the following liquid media:
- 20 mL 50x BG-11 stock
- 980 mL deionized H20
- We filled 5 flasks with 125 mL of the above media
- We inoculated 4 flasks with one colony and one streak from each of our PCC7942 and PCC6803 plates, and left the 5th flask as a control.
- We modified our incubator by adding metal "cupholders" to the shaker surface
- I set the incubator light timer to turn on at 0000, off at 1600 every day.
- We placed our 5 flasks in the incubator, with the shaker on
- Peter Wiegele said it would take a week or so for the bacteria to grow.