- Mix 2.5 g of 4-methoxycarbonylphenyl boronic acid, 1.425 g 1,3,6,8-tetrabromopyrene, 0.05 g palladium tetrakis(triphenylphosphine), and 3 g potassium carbonate in 25 mL dioxane. (Reaction halved)
- Stir under nitrogen for 72 hr at 85°C.
- Mix 400 μL of MOF-5 in DEF with 800 μL dye solution.
- Dye solutions used: fluorescein, rhodamine 6G, methyl orange, Nile blue A, and Congo red in EtOH.
- Remove crystals.
- Evaporate off excess dye solution.
- Wash crystals with DMF.
- Take UV/Vis and fluorescence spectra.
- Fluorescence of MOF and dyes:
July 2, 2012 - The dioxane had all evaporated, leaving a white/yellow solid in the flask. I added 8 mL of dry 1, 4 dioxane to the flask at 4pm and left stirring under nitrogen. --AEM