- Bead preparation
- follow the procedure described by Mary using solid clay
- repeat, increasing the mass percent clay to 20% (we will continue increasing each week until beads do not form)
- Finish crosslinking films from last Friday
- MG calibration curve
- Carefully examine the bottom of your bottle. Any solid particles present?
- We will use UV/Vis spectroscopy to measure MG concentrations
- The maximum absorption for any UV/Vis analysis should be 1
- You need at least 5 concentrations (as evenly distributed as possible) to make a standard curve
- PVOH film characterization
- Swelling characteristics are examined by mass before and after drying in an oven
- Crystallinity is examined using XRD
- Thermal transitions are examined using DSC
- PVOH film preparation
- Repeat the preparation of film containing clay, but use your 3 wt% solution to replace some of the water. How much do you need?