Chan Yul Yoo
Chan Yul Yoo, Ph.D.
Box 90338 137 BioSciences Durham, NC
- 2011, PhD, Purdue University, USA
- 2004, BS, Yonsei University, South Korea
Manuscript in Preparation or in Submission
1. Yoo Chan Yul, Sufang Weng, Hasegawa PM, Mickelbart MV. Environmental Control of Adaptation and Acclimation to Regulate Stomatal Density and Plant Water Use. Trends Plant Sci
2. Yoo Chan Yul, Aliza Finkler, Hua Weng, A.S.N. Reddy, B.W. Poovaiah, Hillel Fromm, Mickelbart MV, Hasegawa PM. Ca2+/calmodulin allosterically inhibits GTL1 transcriptional repressor activity. (Under Review).
(IF denotes 5 years Journal Impact Factor assigned by ISI, Thomson Reuters)
11 Zhou XF*, Jin YH*, Yoo CY, Lin XL, Kim WY, Yun DJ, Bressan RA, Hasegawa PM, Jin JB (2013) Cyclin H;1 regulates drought stress responses and blue light-induced stomatal opening by inhibiting ROS accumulation in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. (In press)
10. Weng H, Yoo CY, Gosney MJ, Hasegawa PM, Mickelbart MV (2012) Poplar GTL1 is a Ca2+/calmodulin-binding transcription factor that functions in plant water use efficiency and drought tolerance. PLoS One e32925 IF = 4.54
9. Yoo CY, Hasegawa PM, Mickelbart MV (2011) Regulation of stomatal density by the GTL1 transcription factor for improving water use efficiency. Plant Signaling & Behavior 6:1069-1071 IF=2.0. predicted
8. Miura K, Lee J, Gong Q, Ma S, Jin JB, Yoo CY, Miura T, Sato A, Bohnert HJ, Hasegawa PM (2011) SIZ1 regulation of phosphate starvation-induced root architecture remodeling involves the control of auxin accumulation. Plant Physiol. 155:1000-1012 (Cited by 14) IF=7.05
7. Yoo CY, Pence HE, Jin JB, Miura K, Gosney M, Hasegawa PM, Mickelbart MV (2010) The Arabidopsis GTL1 transcription factor regulates water use efficiency and drought tolerance by modulating via transrepression of SDD1. Plant Cell 22:4128-4141 (Cited by 9) IF=10.22
6. Yoo CY, Pence HE, Hasegawa PM, Mickelbart MV (2009) Regulation of transpiration to improve crop water use. Crit. Rev. Plant Sci. 28:410-431 (Cited by 26) IF=6.46
5. Miura K, Lee J, Jin JB, Yoo CY, Miura T, Hasegawa PM (2009) Sumoylation of ABI5 by the Arabidopsis SUMO E3 ligase SIZ1 negatively regulates abscisic acid signaling. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 106(13): 5418-5423 (Cited by 65) IF=10.47
4. Jin JB, Jin YH, Lee J, Miura K, Yoo CY, Kim WY, Van Oosten M, Hyun Y, Somers DE, Lee I, Yun DJ, Bressan RA, Hasegawa PM (2008) The SUMO E3 ligase, AtSIZ1, regulates flowering by controlling a salicylic promotion pathway and through affects on FLC chromatin structure. Plant J. 53:530-540 (Cited by 67) IF=7.12
3. Miura K, Jin JB, Lee J, Yoo CY, Stirm V, Miura T, Ashworth EN, Bressan RA, Yun DJ, Hasegawa PM (2007) SIZ1-mediated sumoylation of ICE1 controls CBF3/DREB1A expression and freezing tolerance in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 19:1403-1414 (Cited by 169) IF=10.22
2. Lee J, Nam J, Park HC, Na G, Miura K, Jin JB, Yoo CY, Baek D, Kim DH, Jeong JC, Kim D, Lee SY, Salt DE, Mengiste T, Gong Q, Ma S, Bohnert HJ, Kwak SS, Bressan RA, Hasegawa PM, Yun DJ (2007) Salicylic acid-mediated innate immunity in Arabidopsis is regulated by SIZ1 SUMO E3 ligase. Plant J. 49:79-90 (Cited by 86) IF=7.12
1. Yoo CY, Miura K, Jin JB, Lee J, Park HC, Salt DE, Yun DJ, Bressan RA, Hasegawa PM (2006) SIZ1 small ubiquitin-like modifier E3 ligase facilitates basal thermotolerance in Arabidopsis independent of salicylic acid. Plant Physiol. 142:1548-1558 (Cited by 65) IF=7.05
Fellowships, Awards, and Grants
- 2013, Hargitt Fellowship
- 2012, 1st place of Post-doc Poster Presentation in HLA Research Retreat, West Lafayette, IN
- 2012, Keystone Symposia Future of Science Fund Scholarship
- 2011, Bilsland Fellowship
- 2011, 2nd place of Graduate Student Oral Presentation in HLA (Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architectures) Research Retreat, West Lafayette, IN
- 2010, 1st place of Outstanding Poster Presentation in American Society of Plant Biologist (ASPB) Midwestern Section Annual Meeting
- 2009, Graduate Student Award for Outstanding Teaching, Purdue University Teaching Academy (HORT301, Plant Physiology)
- 2009, Purdue Research Foundation (PRF) Research Grant, “Characterization of Calcium/Calmodulin-Regulated Transcription Factors involved in Drought Tolerance and Water Use Efficiency”
- 2008, US Departments of Energy and Agriculture-sponsered: United States Registration Award for 19th International Conference on Arabidopsis Research, Montreal, Canada
- 2007, Outstanding Poster Presentation - HLA (Department of Horticulture and Landscape architecture) Research Retreat, West Lafayette, IN
Academic Presentation (Invited Talk)
- 2012, Keystone Symposia Nuclear Events in Plant Gene Expression and Signaling, Taos, NM Mar 6-11 (short talk in plenary session). Title: Calcium/calmodulin regulates SDD1 expression by controlling DNA-binding activity of GTL1 transcriptional repressor.
- 2011, Tel Aviv University, Israel, Title: Integration of drought stress into stomatal development for efficient water use.
- 2011, Purdue University, Research Retreat of Horticulture Department, Title: Calcium/calmodulin regulates the chromatin accessibility of GTL1 from SDD1 promoter.
- 2010, Yonsei University, South Korea, Title: AtGTL1 regulates drought tolerance and water-use efficiency by modulating stomatal density via transrepression of SDD1.
- 2010, Purdue Plant Biology Student/Postdic seminar, West Lafayette, IN, Title: AtGTL1 regulates transpiration and water use efficiency by controlling stomatal number through transcriptional repression of SDD1.
- 2008, 19th International Conference on Arabidopsis Research, Montreal, Canada July 23 – 27 (presented in concurrent session) Title: AtGTL1 transcription factor regulates water use efficiency and drought adaptation through Ca2+/Calmodulin signaling.
- 2007, American Society of Plant Biologist (ASPB) meeting, Chicago, IL, July 7-13, (presented in minisymposium) Title: AtGTL1 transcription factor regulates drought adaptation through Ca2+/Calmodulin signaling.
- 2011 National Science Foundation (NSF) - Division of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences (MCB): Investigator-initiated research projects - Program: Networks and regulation (11-545)
Title: Calcium and calmodulin teracts with the GTL1 transcription factor to regulate SDD1 expression and stomatal development. Status: Not Funded
- 2011 United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) - National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) - Agriculture and Food Research Initiative (AFRI) Foundational Program - Biology of Agricultural Plants (A1101)
Title: Improvement of water-use efficiency through regulation of transpiration by GTL transcription factors. Status: Not funded
- 2009 USDA-NIFA-AFRI-Plant Biology: Environmental Stress
Title: Improvement of drought tolerance and water-use efficiency through regulation of transpiration by the GTL1 transcription factor. Status: Not funded, ranked as high priority
- 2008 Binational Agricultural Research and Development (BARD)
Title: Calcium-regulated transcription factors mediating carbon metabolism in response to drought. Status: Funded
- 2008 USDA-NIFA-AFRI
Title: Determination of GTL1 transcription factor functions in regulating drought adaptation and WUE through calcium/calmodulin signaling. Status: Not funded, ranked as low priority
- 2007 BARD
Title: Calcium-regulated transcription factor mediating carbon metabolism and partitioning in response to drought. Status: Not funded
- 2011 Reviewer for Planta
- 2008 Teaching Assistant – Fall, HORT301 Plant Physiology, 3 credits
American Society of Plant Biologists