User:Brian J. Knaus
Brian J. Knaus
USDA Forest Service
Pacific Northwest Research Station
3200 SW Jefferson Way
Corvallis, OR, 97331.
Email me through OpenWetWare
I am a graduate of Community High School in Ann Arbor, MI. I Completed undergraduate work at The University of Arizona, where I was also a member of the Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research.
After graduation I worked a number of positions with the U.S. federal government, usually as a Biological Sciences Technician. This included positions at Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, the USGS field station at Sequoia and King Canyon National Parks, the Riverside Fire Lab, Dorena Tree Improvement Center, and Death Valley National Park. As a graduate student my work with the federal government included a position as a crew leader on a meadow monitoring team in the Sierra Nevada of California as well as several positions at the USDA Forest Service's Pacific Northwest Research Station.
I am currently a member of the Cronn Lab at the USDA Forest Service's Pacific Northwest Research Station's Corvallis Forest Sciences Lab. This is part of the USDA's Pacific Northwest Research Station's Landscape Genetics and Ecology Team. We're using high throughput sequencing technologies to address evolutionary biology questions. Our main project is currently the Douglas-fir Climate Change Transcriptome Observatory where we're using the RNA-Seq method to explore and document differential expression throughout an entire growing season.
- A short read toolbox. Several of our projects involve Illumina short-read data. Originally this was 36 bp reads but has now expanded to a much as 80 bp reads which may be single ended or paired ended. Here's where I've tried to post scripts and links relevant to this type of information.
- 2009, PhD, Oregon State University
- 1997, BS, The University of Arizona
- Population genetics
- Evolutionary biology
- Quantitative biology
- Biocomputing and informatics
- Haig, S.M., E.A. Beever, S.M. Chambers, H.M. Draheim, B.D. Dugger, S. Dunham, E. Elliot-Smith, J.B. Fontaine, D.C. Kesler, B.J. Knaus, I.F. Lopes, P. Loschl, T.D. Mullins, L.M. Sheffield. 2006. Taxonomic considerations in listing subspecies under the U.S. endangered species act. Conservation Biology 20(6): 1584- 1594.
- Knaus, B.J., R. Cronn, and A. Liston. 2005. Genetic characterization of three varieties of Astragalus lentiginosus (Fabaceae). Brittonia 57(4): 334-344.