User:Anthony Salvagno/Notebook/Research/2010/05/17/Tweezer Operations with Pranav

From OpenWetWare

Jump to: navigation, search

Quick Navigation: Pages by Category | List of All Pages | Protocols

We didn't get much done in terms of actual research, but we did learn a lot. Here is a little of what we did.

Methods

We started off with a sample of beads. I showed Pranav the exact method of making a sample of beads:

  1. prepare a sample chamber
  2. dilute beads 1:20
  3. sonicate beads for 15 seconds
  4. dilute beads again (first try we did another 1:20 but later I did 1:100)
  5. flow 10ul BGB
    • wait 30 seconds
  6. flow 10ul diluted beads
  7. seal chamber

Then we tried to get some power spectrum data. We were getting all kinds of noise and no matter what we tried we had various frequency interruption. I then got a little experience with visual sourcesave and updated our live feed software. Next I got a little experience with labview and altered the software to my specifications. Larry amended the software to fit Andy's needs (his camera is rotated 90 degrees and mine isn't), so I changed the parameter that rotates the image so that there is no rotation. It was a real easy fix, but I did it with relatively no labview experience so I'm proud. We also cleaned some dirt off the camera ccd.

With all that taken care of we made a sample of stuck beads. I don't know why I thought this would work, but I did and it didn't. We kept getting a linear power spectrum and couldn't figure out why. Finally I realized it is because the beads need to be moving and so we captured moving beads. Next I couldn't get the power spectrum program to fit the plot and I realized that it was taking into account all the data below 20hz as well. It took me a while, but I figured out how to remove those points from the data and then I got a great fit. So today (because I am writing this late) Pranav and I will get all the stuff done that we were supposed to do yesterday. See tomorrow's notes for updates.

Personal tools