User:Anthony Salvagno/Notebook/Research/2009/09/30/Diving Board Design
We are getting some weird movement in the stage right now and so to try and minimize this I will machine the part below to make one solid movable stage.
- Length - 11 inches
- length from left end to wide part - 6 inches
- length of wide part - 5 inches SJK 02:57, 1 October 2009 (EDT)
- diameter of big hole - 2 inches
- center of hole - 2.5 inches from right side, 1.5in from top/bottom
- width - narrow part is 1.25in, wide part is 3in
- depth - .25in
- left holes - .4375in from left
- right holes - .875 from left holes
- 4 left holes are designed for #8 screw (#15 drill for clearance, 5/16 diameter with .164in depth for counterbore)
Comments and Improvements
The screw holes will be counterbored. The big hole can also be counterbored too. That might give the objective a little extra room to work.
Andy Maloney 23:59, 30 September 2009 (EDT): I'm not sure but won't this vibrate? Also, should it be made from stainless steel?
- Steve Koch 02:59, 1 October 2009 (EDT): I do think we want to worry about vibrations. Minimizing length is good. I used a diving board in the past so that's at least a bench mark. Friction seems to be killing us now, and I don't have something successful to say that we'll win with the current design. More thinking is good. I don't think that stainless would be better than aluminum. At some point we have to worry about the weight on the piezo and it's response time.