Tasks for September 26
- To complete Wednesday's film synthesis
- To begin new film synthesis
Completing film synthesis
- Continued from September 24
- Soaked in sodium sulfate for 1h, put into 0.1% HCl for 30 min, then sodium bicarbonate solution for a further 15 min.
Preparation of 10% wt new exfoliated clay films
- 1.0114 g 22,000 PVA, 0.1107 g of of exfoliated tributylhexadecylphosphonium bromide (THP Br) and 7 mL of distilled water were used to make up a 10% wt PVA-exfoliated THP Br film. Note this clay was prepared by Michael's group.
- 1.0290 g 22,000 PVA, 0.1105 g of exfoliated 1-hexadecyltriphenylphosphonium bromide and 7 mL of distilled water were used to make up a 10% wt PVA-exfoliated THP Br film. This clay was previously prepared by Eleni's group.
- Heated at approx. 80ºC with gentle stirring until all crystals were dissolved
- Allowed to cool down to room temeprature
- Added 0.8 wt% 0.5 mL glutaraldehyde under hood
- Stirred for 3 min to ensure homogeneity
- Poured into teflon dish and allowed to dry