Unity and Diversity of Life Project
The Unity and Diversity of Life Wiki Project AP Biology
During this project you will be creating a Wikipedia presenting the diversity of life. The AP curriculum requires a great breadth of knowledge about the diversity of life. You must develop an understanding the levels of classification, the use of classification schemes, the species concept, and the diagnostic characteristics of the various major taxa of life. This last area is a particular problem. Most students come in with very little background and the coverage of the material is broad but not deep. At its worst, it can be just a list of characteristics. At its best, we can examine the strategies in which all the taxa of life face common problems of existence.
This assignment is part of a unit on the unity and diversity of life and provided a means to address the topic of the characteristics of the taxon.
· Each of you will be assigned a particular taxa.
· You will use the textbook as a source and prepare the page for the taxon including basic information about each topic.
· You should simplify the language so that a 10th grade can use this site.
· You will then edit other student’s pages and they will edit yours.
o Each of you will be required to supply one edit per page.
o These edits should add information from internet sources and supply the links.
o Five of your edits can be picture additions to a page (no more than one per page).
o Five more of your edits can be review questions (up to one per page).
o These edits will be done in two cycles of twelve edits each
· During this process of entering information and editing, I will able to monitor your work by checking the history for the wiki.
· You will also be able to easily email me and each other.
· While anyone can view these pages, only students in this course have permission to write or edit on this wiki.
· When you first visit the site you will have to register and request permission to join.
· Be sure to closely examine the rubric before beginning.
Set up of page:_____________________________________
First 12 edits:______________________________________
Second 12 edits:____________________________________
Final page edit:_____________________________________
The taxa and the topics for each are as follows:
characteristics of the group
· The diagnostic characteristics that define the group