Recent research and review papers published, accepted for publication, under review or in preparation.
- Predicting Protein Aggregation during Storage in Lyophilized Solids Using Solid State Amide Hydrogen/Deuterium Exchange with Mass Spectrometric Analysis (ssHDX-MS). B.S. Moorthy, S.G. Schultz, S.G. Kim, E.M. Topp. Molecular Pharmaceutics, Jun 2;11(6):1869-79, 014.
- Commentary: Current perspectives on the aggregation of protein drugs. E. M. Topp. AAPS Journal, AAPS Journal, May;16(3):413-4, 2014.
- Thiol–Disulfide Exchange in Peptides Derived from Human Growth Hormone. S. Chandrasekhar, D.E. Epling, A.M. Sophocleous and E.M. Topp. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 103/4: 1032–1042, April 2014.
- [Analyzing subvisible particles in protein drug products: A comparison of dynamic light scattering (DLS) and resonant mass measurement (RMM). J. Panchal, J. Kotarek, E. Marszal,and E.M. Topp. AAPS Journal<em>, 16/3: 440-451, 2014. DOI: 10.1208/s12248-014-9579-6.
- Microarrays and microneedle arrays for delivery of peptides, proteins, vaccines and other applications. S. Chandrasekhar, L.K. Iyer, J.P. Panchal, E.M. Topp. J.B. Cannon and V.V. Ranade, <em>Expert Opinion in Drug Delivery, 10/8: 1155-1170, 2013.
- Photolytic labeling to probe protein-protein and protein-matrix interactions in lyophilized powders. L.K. Iyer, B.S. Moorthy, and E.M. Topp. Molecular Pharmaceutics, 10: 4629-4639, 2013.
- Protein aggregation and lyophilization: Protein structural descriptors as predictors of aggregation propensity. B.C. Roughton, L.K. Iyer, E. Bertelsen, E.M. Topp, EM and K.V. Camarda. Journal of Computers and Chemical Engineering, 58/11: 369-377, 2013.
- Effect of deamidation on the in vivo fate of monoclonal antibodies. S. Chandrasekhar, B.S. Moorthy, B. Xie and E.M. Topp, in Biobetters: Protein Engineering to Approach the Curative, A. Rosenberg and B. Demeule (eds.), Advances in Pharmaceutical Sciences series, Academic Press, New York, invited.
- Approaches to pharmaceutical product design. B.C. Roughton, K.V. Camarada and E.M. Topp, in Ullman’s Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry, Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co., Mannheim, Germany, 2012. DOI: 10.1002/14356007.o22_o08; published online 15 JAN 2013.
- Optimizing protein-excipient interactions for the development of aggregation-reducing lyophilized formulations. B.C. Roughton, A.I. Pokphanh, E.M. Topp and K.V. Camarda. Proceedings of the 11th International Symposium on Process Systems Engineering, I. a Karimi and R. Srinivasan (eds.), Elsevier, Oxford, UK, 2012. pp. 1351-1355.
- Protein G, Protein A and Protein-A-derived peptides inhibit the agitation induced aggregation of IgG. J. Zhang and E.M. Topp. Molecular Pharmaceutics, 9(3): 622-628, 2012. DOI: 10.1021/mp200548x.
- Localized hydration in lyophilized myoglobin by hydrogen-deuterium exchange mass spectrometry. 2. Exchange kinetics. A.M. Sophocleous, E.M. Topp. Mol Pharm. 2012 Apr 2;9(4):727-33. doi: 10.1021/mp2004093. Epub 2012 Feb 29.
- Localized hydration in lyophilized myoglobin by hydrogen-deuterium exchange mass spectrometry. 1. Exchange mapping. A.M. Sophocleous, J. Zhang, E.M. Topp. Mol Pharm. 2012 Apr 2;9(4):718-26. doi: 10.1021/mp3000088. Epub 2012 Feb 29.
- Protein G, protein A and protein A-derived peptides inhibit the agitation induced aggregation of IgG. J. Zhang, E.M. Topp. Mol Pharm. 2012 Mar 5;9(3):622-8. doi: 10.1021/mp200548x. Epub 2012 Feb 9.
- Probing protein conformation in lyophilized powders by hydrogen/deuterium exchange: Deuterium uptake kinetics in lyophilized myoglobin powders. A. Sophocleous and E.M. Topp. Molecular Pharmaceutics. Invited manuscript for special issue, “Advances in Biophysical and Bioanalytical Protein Characterization”. Submitted August 17, 2011. Reviewers’ comments received November 16, 2011.
- Use of glass transitions in carbohydrate excipient design for lyophilized protein formulations. B.C. Roughton, E.M. Topp, and K.V. Camarda. Computers and Chemical Engineering, in press. DOI:10.1016/j.compchemeng.2011.07.018.
- Localized effects of hydration on lyophilized myoglobin by hydrogen/deuterium exchange mass spectrometry. A.M. Sophocleous, J. Zhang and E.M. Topp, submitted to Biophysical Journal, June 24, 2011. Reviewers’ comments received August 15, 2011. Revised version submitted October 29, 2011.
- Proteins and peptides: Physical and chemical stability. Andreas Sophocleous, Jun Zhang, Lavanya Iyer, Saradha Chandra Sekhar and Elizabeth M. Topp, Encyclopedia of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology, 4th ed., James Swarbrick, D.Sc., Ph.D., Editor. Informa Healthcare, New York, NY. Submitted April 26, 2011.
- Adhesive/dentin interface: the weak link in the composite restoration. P. Spencer, Q. Ye, J. Park, E.M Topp, A. Misra, O. Marangos, Y. Wang, B.S. Bohaty, V. Singh, F. Sene, J. Eslick, K.V. Camarda, J.L. Katz. Ann Biomed Eng. 38(6): 1989-2003, 2010.
- Thiol-disulfide interchange in the tocinoic acid/glutathione system during freezing and drying. M. Thing, J. Zhang, J. Laurence and E.M. Topp. J Pharm Sci, 99/12: 4849-4856, 2010. DOI 10.1002/jps.22206.
- Effect of photoinitiator system and water content on dynamic mechanical properties of a light-cured bisGMA/HEMA dental resin.[ J. Park, Q. Ye, E.M. Topp, S.L. Kieweg and P. Spencer. J Biomed Mater Res A. 93A/4: 1245-1251, 2010. DOI: 10.1002/jbm.a.32617.
- Immune response to controlled release of immunomodulating peptides in an experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE) mouse model. Hong Zhao, Paul Kiptoo, Todd D. Williams, Teruna J. Siahaan and Elizabeth M. Topp. J Control Release. 141: 145-152, 2010. DOI: 10.1016/j.jconrel.2009.09.002.
- Protein conformation and reactivity in amorphous solids. S. Sinha, S. Xie and E.M. Topp, in Formulation and Process Development Strategies for Manufacturing of Biopharmaceuticals, F. Jameel and S. Hershenson, eds., John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken, NJ, 2010. ISBN: 978-0-470-11812-2. pp. 493-506.
- Chemical instability in peptide and protein pharmaceuticals. Elizabeth M. Topp, Lei Zhang, Hong Zhao, Robert W. Payne, Gabriel J. Evans and Mark C. Manning. Formulation and Process Development Strategies for Manufacturing Biopharmaceuticals, F. Jameel and S. Hershenson, eds., John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken, NJ, 2010. ISBN: 978-0-470-11812-2. pp. 41-68.
- Water sorption and dynamic mechanical properties characteristics of dentin adhesives with a urethane-based multifunctional methacrylate monomer. Jong-Gu Park, Qiang Ye, Elizabeth M. Topp, Anil Misra and Paulette Spencer. Dent Mater. 25: 1569-1575, 2009.
- Dynamic mechanical analysis and esterase degradation of dentin adhesives containing a branched methacrylate. Jong-Gu Park, Qiang Ye, Elizabeth M. Topp, Chi H. Lee, Elisabet L. Kostoryz, Anil Misra and Paulette Spencer. J Biomed Mater Res B Applied Biomat. 91B(1): 61-70, 2009. DOI: 10.1002/jbm.b.31374.
- Enzyme-catalyzed hydrolysis of dentin adhesives containing a new urethane-based trimethacrylate monomer. Jong-Gu Park, Qiang Ye, Elizabeth M. Topp and Paulette Spencer. J Biomed Mater Res B Applied Biomater. 91B: 562–571, 2009.
- Reversibility and regioselectivity of thiol/disulfide exchange in lyophilized solids. L. Zhang, T.D. Williams and E.M. Topp. J Pharm Sci. 98/9: 3312-3318, 2009.