Michael Eisen Lab:Reagents:PBS
Phosphate Buffered Saline
PBS is an isotonic buffer for cells.
Purchase in Solution
This should be used as a last resort.
- PBS is available as 10X Solution from the Stanley Hall stock room
Prepare from tablets
- PBS is ideally prepared from PBS tablets <ref> Sigma P4417 </ref> or constituent salts (see wikipedia page).
- Sterilize solution with sterile filter.
1x PBS is 137 mM NaCl, 12 mM Phosphate, 2.7 mM KCl, pH 7.4
10X PBS Stock Solution
- Combine the following:
- 80 g NaCl
- 2 g KCl
- 14.4 g Na2HPO4 (dibasic anhydrous) OR 18.1 g Na2HPO4 · 2H2O (dibasic dihydrate) OR 27.2 g Na2HPO4 · 7H2O (dibasic heptahydrate)
- 2.4 g KH2PO4 (monobasic anhydrous)
- 800 mL distilled H2O
- Adjust pH to 7.4 with HCl
- Add H2O to 1L
- Autoclave for 20 minutes on liquid cycle or sterile filter. Store at RT.
- PBS tablets on chemical shelf
- PBS stock solutions on benchtops