TAE is a commonly used buffer for making and running DNA agarose gels. It is cheap to make, easy to store, and buffers well under higher running voltages.
It is convenient to make a stock solution of 50x TAE for easy storage.
To make 500mL of 50x TAE
(2M Tris, 2M acetic acid, 50mM EDTA):
- dissolve 121 g Tris-base (FW - 121.14) in about 300 mL MilliQ H2O
- add 28.55 mL glacial acetic acid
- add 50 mL 0.5M EDTA (pH 8.0)
- add MilliQ H2O to bring total volume to 500mL
Do not autoclave (I don't know why)
To make 1L of 1x TAE from 50x TAE
- 20mL 50x TAE + 980 NanoPure H2O