IGEM:University of East Anglia (UEA), Norwich, UK/2009/Notebook/NRP-UEA-Norwich iGEM/2013/07/18
|Week Seven|| Main project page|
Previous entry Next entry
Sequencing results arrived and we spent the time analysing them. We confirmed one of our bio ricks which is the J04450 with Nde1 site inserted. But the other bio brick had a problem where 3 Xba1 sites were inserted instead of one. Therefore, we planned experiments to fix this error over next week.
The insoluble and soluble fractions from the protein expression were analysed using a 10% SDS Polyacrylamide gel which was then stained with Coomassie blue.
Observed previously plated samples (1-38) - most showed at least one example of Streptomyces sp. or another Actinomycete - often small white colonies with a surrounding brown ring of secondary metabolite production. Sporulating colonies have a grey centre.
Re-plated samples that showed no Streptomyces growth. Dilutions of 10-2, 10-3 and 10-4 were plated.
Growth occurred on all the transformation plates indicating successful transformations. Only the plated diluted samples are useful as they show clear single colonies whereas colonies have merged on the undiluted plates.
The team was split into two groups and went for collecting sediment samples from around Norfolk.