First Team Meeting Agenda
Meeting Date: 12 December, 2008 (5.30pm)
Meeting Location: Bio21 Level 1 Conference Room, Meeting Outside at specified time.
Meeting Logistics: table water, order pizza? otherwise bring snacks
(purely suggestive... change at your will)
Current Time ~ 2.5 hours
- minutes taker
- time keeper
- (30min)Team Roundtable: names, degrees, nicknames, favourite sport/music/film/book/pet/color etc. tell us something unusual about yourself ?
- (15min)Perspectives on iGEM - what are we aiming for? the moon? what are the prizes/medals?
- need to make contact with team members not here ... let's give them a ring (skype!)
- (5min)Bio21 Access Cards - need to fill in paper work
- (10min)OpenWetWare Accounts - everyone to apply, can't edit the wiki without it
- (5min)Contact Details - fill in on the wiki ... online chat? AIM/gmail etc... it was useful for us, or just subscribe to wiki watchlist?
- wireless internet connection - need to get financing to dept from Phil, do we want to up the speed back to (1MBit/12GB)???
- (5min)iGEM packs ... suggested
- iGEM rules
- iGEM Kit ... biobricks
- standard assembly
- biology/lab primer: cloning, transformation, culture, miniprep, digest, ligation, pcr, sequence, mutagen etc.
- engineering/modelling primer
- wiki primer
(the Team to create this ... delegate your first tasks!) - wiki/simple research exercise)
Expectations for the year ahead...
- Preliminary Timetable
- Dec-Jan-Feb - heavy brainstorm/research
- Jan-Feb - Begin Lab work (prelim)
- end of Feb - project finalised, order parts from registry or other labs, start modelling
- Feb - start creating timeline/plan of when things should happen (or do this earlier)
- Mar-Apr - start the hardcore lab, modelling
- May - iGEM seminar (register team/project)
- Jun-Jul - more lab and modelling
- Aug-Sep - more lab and modelling... hopefully finishing most things by now ... making sure wiki is up-to-date
- Oct - send DNA to MIT, finish wiki
- Nov - go to Jamboree
- [Effective Team Dynamics] - have a read ... some good stuff if you wish to use it...
- (30min)OGSM framework - objectives / goals / strategies / measurements : up to you if you want to use it...
- objectives - make finals/win the biobrick/
- goals - solve a specific medical/environmental/energy problem / 1000 submitted biobricks / extensive modelling
- strategies - proposed actions to achieve goals
- brainstorm, research, plan, work, pray, go to jamboreee!!!
- measurements -
- 1/3 month review ... measure progress
- how is the wiki being maintained... standard wiki processes for creating new pages etc.
- is the lab work productive/ is the work load spread out
- create a time line ... of what you hope to achieve when ... give yourself deadlines [very rough at first], and review when you come to them ...
- this is likely to be a complex construction timeline... do you want to use Project/Gantt charts ie find critical path etc, who will do this ??? it def would have been useful for us ... since things were just always being pushed back
- (5min)team procedures - minutes, agenda, wiki, accountability
- (5min)team rules - meeting attendance, communication, meeting snacks
- not defined at start, but define as you go along?
- chief wiki maintainer
- lab coordinator
- modeling coordinator
- research coordinator
- rotate responsibility for agenda/minutes
- circular accountability???
- it's up to you?
- primary contact (for iGEM)?
- igem administrative person
- in charge of tickets/hotels/deadlines/payments... have this as one person?
- need to have team name
- need to have team logo
- need to have team t-shirt
- need to have team mascot ... just kidding
- individual - go away and research on your own, come back with suggestions in Jan
- buddy - team up with one other person and work together
- whole team - coordinated creativity on wiki
Synthetic Biology Society
- first meeting?
- what do we want this for?
Finalise Action Points
- minutes done by insertname and inserttime
- next meeting agenda coordinated by insertname and inserttime
- iGEM primer parts to be done by insertname and insert date
Next Meeting Time
- insert here