Growing Bacteria in Liquid Medium (6/27/07)
- Take out colonies:
- Get 4 100 mL culture tubes.
- Light the bunsen burner.
- In each tube, use the pipet gun to add 6 mL of KB, and add 6 µl of Kanamycin (50 mg/mL)1000x
- Make sure to lightly graze the tip of the KB with the top unscrewed a little for additional sterilization
- Briefly place the tongs under the flame to sterilize, and use them to pick up a sterile toothpick.
- Use the toothpick to gather a single colony of cells, and place the toothpick and the colony into the solution.
- Repeat this sterile technique with the other 6.
- Shake at 37°C (300 rpm) overnight
Innoculation and Induction (6/28/07)
- Take out colonies from overnight incubation, as well as competent cell line BL21DE3.
- Two new culture tubes for each colony, and one for the competent cells.
- Add 5 ul of Kanamycin (in all but competent cells)
- Add 5 ml of LB (3 ml for competent cells)
- Add 200 ul of bacteria (50 ul of competent cells)
- Add 5 ul of IPTG
- Add when the culture is at log phase.
- Measure the OD of the samples, for now using the induced cells and the BL21DE3 control
- OMPA1 + his = 0.93A
- OMPA1 + strep = 1.23A
- OMPA2 + his = 1.19A
- OMPA2 + strep = 1.34A
- BL21DE3 = 1.39A
Magnetic Labeling with MACS (6/28/07)
- Create Standard MACS Separation Buffer:
- Dilute MACS BSA Stock Solution 1:20 with autoMACS Rinsing Solution (used 100 ml Rinsing solution with 5 ml BSA)
- Followed Indirect Magnetic Labeling Protocol
- Note: OMPA1+Strep and OMPA1+His had low cell count
- Then follow Magnetic Separation
Results from MACS plates
Observation: There were many colonies that grew on our MACS assays, which was desirable. However, on our control plates, which we did not expect to grow, there seemed to be the same amount of growth.
Conclusion: There seems to be a lot of background binding taking place, involving contamination or infrequent wash steps during the MACS column phase.
Plating Perry's Cherry Bacteria (6/29/07)
- Add 2 ml LB
- Add 2 ul Kan
- Add a colony of the bacteria using sterile technique (toothpick method).
Lane 1: Ladder Lane 2: His 0 min induction Lane 3: His 30 min induction Lane 4: His 60 min induction Lane 5: His 90 min induction Lane 6: His 120 min induction Lane 7: Strep 0 min induction Lane 8: Strep 30 min induction Lane 9: Strep 60 min induction Lane 10: Strep 90 min induction Lane 11: Strep 120 min induction Lane 12: His 0 min induction 120 min denature
Lane 1: Ladder Lane 2: Strep No IPTG Lane 3: Strep 0 min induction 30 min denature Lane 4: Strep 0 min induction 60 min denature Lane 5: Strep 0 min induction 90 min denature Lane 6: Strep 0 min induction 120 min denature Lane 7: His No IPTG Lane 8: His 0 min induction 30 min denature Lane 9: His 0 min induction 60 min denature Lane 10: His 0 min induction 90 min denature