Using the Fluorometer
- Open the sample chamber to close the shutters and protect the detector if the signal exceeds the maximum (~9).
- Turn off the lamp before shutting down the instrument.
- Be careful with the cuvettes. You will break one if you work enough, but please develop careful habits.
Using the SLM Aminco-Bowman Luminescence Spectrometer
- Make sure the computer is OFF
- Turn ON the "Lamp Enable" switch on the left side of the spectrometer
- Turn ON the spectrometer
- look for the red Lamp Monitor LED on front of the instrument to turn on
- wait for the LED on the right side of the instrument to change from ORANGE to GREEN
- Turn on the computer
- user "lab", password "lab"
- Open AB2 program
- ignore the error message
- wait for "Initializing Instrument" to finish
- follow the remainder of instructions beginning on p. 4-1 of the manual
- 20 Minutes before turning off the spectrometer turn OFF the "Lamp Enable" switch
- This is crucial to extend the life of the expensive arc lamp
- Turn off the computer at any time
- Clean the cuvettes and return them to the rack behind the computer
- These are the other expensive and breakable item
- They are placed behind the computer when not in use to minimize chances of accidental damage