Series 1 Lab 4 Variables Affecting Phagocytosis
Adapted from Bozzone, M.D., and D.A. Martin 2000. An experimenal system to study phagocytosis. Pages 405-415, in Tested studies for laboratory teaching, Volume 21 (S.J. Karcher, Editor). Proceedings of the 21st Workshop/Conference of the Association for Biology Laboratory Education (ABLE).
You will have the opportunity to carry out an experiment that you and your partner design. Each group of four students will focus on one variable.
- Place used microcentrifuge tubes and tips that DO NOT contain glutaraldehyde in orange autoclave bags on your bench.
- Any microcentrifuge tubes or tips containing glutaraldehyde should be disposed of in the hood.
- Put all used microscope slides and cover slips that DO NOT contain glutaraldehyde in the glass disposal box.
- Slides containing glutaraldehyde can be disposed of in the waste container located in the hood.
- Rotate the 4x objective lens into place and return your microscope to the cabinet.
Preparation for Science Writing Workshop in Lab 5
- (5 points) In lab 5, you and your partner or group will give a 5 minute oral presentation showing your data and explaining how it addresses your experimental question and topic. Please prepare a few PowerPoint slides that include at least one figure and figure legend(s) summarizing the main points from your data. Although figure legends are not typically included in PowerPoint presentations (since this is the part that you explain verbally), you will include the legend this time so we can discuss effective figure design. Be sure and upload your presentation to the folder your instructor designates in the lab Sakai site before Lab 5 begins so that you can access it on the computer in the presentation classroom. We will not be meeting in the lab for your presentations. Your instructor will let you know where to meet.
- Read the Gronlien, et al. (2002) journal article carefully. Now that you have done your own investigation of phagocytosis in T. pyriformis and created your own figures from your data, you are better equipped to think about and discuss how scientific findings are presented. We will have a Science Writing Workshop after the presentations in Lab 5. Pay careful attention to the format of the different sections of the Gronlien paper. The main purpose of our workshop is to help you understand the structure of scientific writing so that you will be prepared to write a partial scientific research paper of your own.
- Take the Lab 5 pre-lab quiz.
- Take the Genetics Series Pre-Assessment in Lab 4 and email the passcode to your instructor for 2 points of participation credit.