Kathryn Armstrong, Diana Chai, Brian Cook, Jordan Green, Maxine Jonas, Hyungdo Kim, Nick Marcantonio, Megan McBee, Nate Tedford, Shan Wu, Ben Zeskind
BE Board Budget 2005-2006
- A 16% increase compared to 2004-2005 is proposed.
- It is however justified because:
- the Division is expanding
- the BE Board offers more and more activities of increasing attendance and relevance for community building
- the Diversity group ended up not using much of its assigned budget this past year
- a total of four “academic seminar series” will be scheduled next year.
- The budget proposal will be sent to Doug Lauffenburger & Dalia Gabour this week.
BE Board 2005 Elections
- Do we want to restructure the BE Board, by having less representatives attending the meetings (rotation within each office) and an extended subcommittee structure? Pros would include faster-paced meetings, but cons a loss of points of views for every general discussion held during meetings.
- 1 BE Diversity, 1 BE Industrial Seminars, 1 BE Community Service representative will be appointed.
BE.526 Social Hour
- How did BE people like this new format of the weekly BE social hour? Overall, people (including a few faculty members every week) lingered around longer than at cookie hours, and more interactions were fostered.
- The BE End of the Year Survey will address this question.
- An academic seminar series will be instigated.
- A BE softball/BBQ event will be scheduled.
- IM sports: BE ranked 2nd in volleyball, 3rd in pistol, and the softball team is doing very well.
- The GSC informs us that the City of Cambridge has agreed to a few MIT-claimed changes regarding the on-going constructions on Mass. Ave.: broader cross-walks, more lighting, one lane reserved for bikes/SafeRide buses between Vassar & Amherst Streets, etc. The State of Massachusetts will have to corroborate this acceptation.
- The GSC is seeking to fill a position of Graduate Representative for Community Service.
- The GSC can allot ~ $250 for BE activities, which we may use for BE undergrad/grad events.