26 December 2008
Date: 26 December 2008; Time: 1400; Agenda: Quantification of 72hr biofilm at 2 temperatures.
Quantification of biofilm:
- This time we quantified the biofilm formed based on only CV since sonication failed to work.
Results of plating of serial dilutions done on 23 December:
- For LB McFarland Standard:
- 10^-10: 13
- 10^-12: 8
- For M9 (inoculated) sample
- NO COLONIES FOR ALL DILUTIONS PLATED
- For M9 (Centrifuged) sample (same starting cell number as LB McFarland standard)
- 10^-10: 24
- 10^-12: 6
- Results of plating seems more accurate than before as the starting number of cells in M9 and LB medium should be theoretically similar assuming the centrifuging was done properly. If the starting number of cells are the same, the LB agar plates (at a certain dilution) should contain similar number of colonies for both M9 and LB media. However, the number of colonies vary by a lot (compare at 10^-10 and 10^-12: Both LB and M9 (centrifuged) produced similar number of colonies upon plating).