User talk:Kevin Matthew McKay
Week 1 Journal Feedback
- Thank you for submitting your assignment on time.
- There are a few of things that you need to fix on your individual user page and shared journal page. Please make these changes by next week's journal deadline (midnight, February 8) to earn back the points you missed on this assignment.
- You need to put the complete street address for your box at LMU.
- You included your research interests on the page, but not your career interests as requested.
- On the Week 1 shared journal page, use your name as a header for the section that you use to answer questions. Be sure to use a label for the link back to your user page. Instead of [[User:Kevin Matthew McKay]], use [[User:Kevin Matthew McKay | Kevin Matthew McKay]].
- You are not using the summary field consistently when you make changes to the wiki. The goal is to fill it out every time you make a change.
- You have created your template, but it is duplicating links that you put manually on your user page. You can go ahead and delete the extra links since they are there because of your template.
- You included an abstract about your research as the file you uploaded. However, the name of that file is simply "Abstract.docx". This filename is really generic for use on OpenWetWare, where there are hundreds of users from around the world. If someone else were to upload a file with the same name (which could easily happen), it would overwrite your file. It is even possible that you have overwritten someone else's file yourself. Make sure that your filenames are unique to you.
- Please feel free to delete the welcome message from OpenWetWare below.
— Kam D. Dahlquist 01:40, 31 January 2013 (EST)
Basic Wiki Instructions
- Don't be afraid to edit! As with all pages on the wiki, all versions are saved so its easy to undo. If you have any questions feel free to send us an email.
- Start off by clicking the 'edit' button to the right of this section, or at the top of the page.
- Now you should see the text of this section as text within an editor box. There are several buttons in the editor box, but don't worry about those for now. Just type something in the box, scroll down to the bottom, and hit the 'Preview' button.
- You should see the web-page and text box views, but now with your edits! Don't forget to save your changes by clicking 'Save Page'!
- Editing pages is as easy as that. There are of course many ways to format your text. The easiest way to learn is to find an OWW page with the formatting you like, click on the edit button again, and see for yourself how it was created in the text box. Here's an extensive list of formating examples. Or look at this OpenWetWare introductory tutorial.
- When you are done, remove these instructions by clicking the edit button for this section again, erase everything you see in the text box and click 'Save Page'. (And remember you can always retrieve these by clicking on the 'history' tab at the top of this page.)
Note that these instructions apply to any page on OWW. Feel free to contribute to OWW by editing pages to add content, update them, or even correct mistakes. OWW relies on an active community to manage our growing resource of open access information, and we need your help!
We have gone ahead and filled in some information you provided us in your membership application on your User Page. Please take a moment to embellish this and tell the community a little more about you. Put links to your lab pages, your projects and your interests. If you run out of ideas, take a look at some of the other User pages. For example, check out User:Julius_B._Lucks, User:Jason_R._Kelly and User:Reshma_P._Shetty.
You'll also notice that we have put an 'image' placeholder at the top of your User Page. We encourage you to upload an image of yourself to give OWW a more personal feel. To upload an image, click on the Upload file link on the left-hand side (toolbar). Choose a file from your computer, and remember the file name. After you have uploaded the image, you should see it loaded on its own page. Go back to your User Page, click on edit, and replace 'OWWEmblem.png' with the name of your file that you have uploaded in the second line of this page.