User:Sarah Labianca/Notebook/Smyth Lab/2012/02/10

From OpenWetWare

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(Issues with calibrating the force pendulum)
Line 10: Line 10:
     [[Image:Chatillon.jpg|c|right|x|Chatillon TCD-200]]The force gauge we were going to use to measure the impulses of the force pendulum was the Chatillon TCD-200. However we ran into some issues with the machine. The machine is designed for stretching and compression tests, and the software is no exception. When powered on, the TCD-200 moves the force gauge either up or down, depending on the type of test one is conducting. We decided to remove the force gauge from its mount on the test stand to prevent movement and run the software to take continuous measurements.  
     [[Image:Chatillon.jpg|c|right|x|Chatillon TCD-200]]The force gauge we were going to use to measure the impulses of the force pendulum was the Chatillon TCD-200. However we ran into some issues with the machine. The machine is designed for stretching and compression tests, and the software is no exception. When powered on, the TCD-200 moves the force gauge either up or down, depending on the type of test one is conducting. We decided to remove the force gauge from its mount on the test stand to prevent movement and run the software to take continuous measurements.  
The software and force gauge did not take measurements well-- we are unsure of its accuracy. It seemed to max out well before its designated limit. We would raise the pendulum arm and release it to impact with the sensor. However, the force gauge would often move backwards from the force of the impact. We could not completely secure the force gauge and prevent it from moving. When recording the impacts, the graphs produced by the software showed strange data. Sometimes the peaks of force were in the negatives, and sometimes in the positive. There was no consistency, the data was unusable. Because of this, we decided to build our own force gauge to calibrate the pendulum.
The software and force gauge did not take measurements well-- we are unsure of its accuracy. It seemed to max out well before its designated limit. We would raise the pendulum arm and release it to impact with the sensor. However, the force gauge would often move backwards from the force of the impact. We could not completely secure the force gauge and prevent it from moving. When recording the impacts, the graphs produced by the software showed strange data. Sometimes the peaks of force were in the negatives, and sometimes in the positive. There was no consistency, the data was unusable. Because of this, we decided to build our own force gauge to calibrate the pendulum.
-
 
+
==Comments==
 +
'''[[User:Andy Maloney|Andy Maloney]] 13:49, 15 February 2012 (EST):'''' If you saved any of the strange looking data, I would recommend that you post it. That way there is more context to what you describe above.
      
      

Revision as of 13:49, 15 February 2012

Main project page
Previous entry      Next entry

Issues with calibrating the force pendulum

Chatillon TCD-200
The force gauge we were going to use to measure the impulses of the force pendulum was the Chatillon TCD-200. However we ran into some issues with the machine. The machine is designed for stretching and compression tests, and the software is no exception. When powered on, the TCD-200 moves the force gauge either up or down, depending on the type of test one is conducting. We decided to remove the force gauge from its mount on the test stand to prevent movement and run the software to take continuous measurements.

The software and force gauge did not take measurements well-- we are unsure of its accuracy. It seemed to max out well before its designated limit. We would raise the pendulum arm and release it to impact with the sensor. However, the force gauge would often move backwards from the force of the impact. We could not completely secure the force gauge and prevent it from moving. When recording the impacts, the graphs produced by the software showed strange data. Sometimes the peaks of force were in the negatives, and sometimes in the positive. There was no consistency, the data was unusable. Because of this, we decided to build our own force gauge to calibrate the pendulum.

Comments

Andy Maloney 13:49, 15 February 2012 (EST):' If you saved any of the strange looking data, I would recommend that you post it. That way there is more context to what you describe above.



Personal tools