User:Neil R Gottel
- Neil R Gottel
- University of Texas at Austin
- Welch 4.228
- Email me through OpenWetWare
I'm a second year microbiology grad student in the Barrick Lab, studying the evolution of microbial genomes. Specifically, I'm interested in the use of evolution to evolve a "minimal genome" for E. coli. I'm also interested in gene transfer agents (GTAs), they're really weird!
Before coming to Texas, I worked in the Kent Lab at UIUC and the Plant Microbe Interfaces group at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Now I stick to research that doesn't require subjecting myself to poison ivy and mosquitoes.
- 2009, BS, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Microbial Evolution
- Gene Transfer Agents
- Synthetic Biology
Some fun science links
- Gottel NR, Castro HF, Kerley M, Yang Z, Pelletier DA, Podar M, Karpinets T, Uberbacher E, Tuskan GA, Vilgalys R, Doktycz MJ, and Schadt CW. . pmid:21764952.
- Hodkinson BP, Gottel NR, Schadt CW, and Lutzoni F. . pmid:21906220.
- Sullivan TS, Gottel NR, Basta N, Jardine PM, and Schadt CW. . pmid:22729539.