Molecular Fingerprinting and Docking of Compounds to the ADA active site
A. Opening Maestro
- From the assigned computer, a new terminal was created from either of the following steps:
1. Finder > Services > New terminal at folder
2. press the provided shortcut key F5
- Then enter $maestro to open the suite.
- Draw the molecule on the workspace area. Modifications can be made through the Edit panel > build > fragments > atom properties. Sponge the drawn molecule for clarity.
- To save the molecule, create this entry on the project table -or- from the workspace option > project entry > name and create the project and then save.
- The next step is to put the molecule under energy minimization to find a stable energetically conformation.
B. Energy Minimization
- To initiate energy minimization, go to the Applications option > Impact > Minimization.
- Minimization analyzes the molecule using Classical Physics.
- A dialog box appears with the force field set on OPLS 2005.
- Then click the Minimization tab. On the maximum cycles, this was changed to 10,000. The other standard parameters such as gradient criterion (0.01) and energy change criterion (1e-07) were kept. The pH was changed to the desired pH level of 7.4.
- Knowing there are amino acids present, by changing the pH of the parameters, the structure must also be converted to its alkoxide form at pH 7.4. As a result, through atom types O3 was changed to OM.
- After all the parameters were set for minimization, the host zorro was chosen and the minimization was started.
- Double-click the finished minimization on the monitor jobs (from applications option), then label the partial charges of the molecule.
- Save the project entry.
C. Calculation of Fingerprint
- Opened Canvas from the Finder by typing $Canvas
- Created a new project and named it as Aspirin_fingerprint.
- Imported the energy minimized aspirin saved earlier from maestro.
- Under applications option, click binary fingerprints > molprint2D
- Click on the imported molecule and incorporate.
- Export the molecule by saving it with an extension of .fp
- A dialog box will appear, choose remove all properties and click ok.
- Close the project.
D. Screen Fingerprint
- After closing the previous aspirin project, open the zinc database.
- Imported the aspirin.fp molecule and allow duplicate mappings.
- Go to the Applications > similar/distance screen > select aspirin.
- Selected the fingerprint column and choose the fingerprint (aspirin)
- Screened the molecules and then incorporate ~ 15,001
- Clicked the fingerprint screen column and sort in descending order to show molecules closest to aspirin.
- On the panel, select rows 1-15,001
- Saved the selection by exporting the project as aspirin_15001.mae along with its properties and click OK.
- Closed Canvas
- Opened the protein databank (PDB) website, www.rcsb.org, and acquired two ADA Bovine structures. The two following structures were chosen by desirable resolutions: