(Difference between revisions)
Revision as of 19:25, 8 April 2013
| PVOH Research
|| Main project page|
Previous entry Next entry
PVOH Film Preparations
Prepared PVOH films in water:
- In 10mL beaker, weigh out ~ 0.5 grams PVOH (MW 130,000)
(Actual Mass = 0.4934g)
- Then, using a graduated cylinder add ~ 3 mL H2O to the beaker
- In another 10mL beaker, weigh out ~ 1.0 gram PVOH (MW 130,000)
(Actual Mass = 0.9965g)
- Then, using a graduated cylinder add ~ 5 mL H2O to the beaker
Standard PVOH Film Protocol:
- After adding and combining PVOH (MW 130,000) in small beakers with H2O, add stir bars and prepare to stir solution.
- On hot plate, stir and heat both beaker solutions at 70-80°C for ~ 12 min or until PVOH dissolves.
- Once PVOH solids thoroughly dissolve in solution, pour each solution in a Teflon dish to sit, cool, and dry in a fume hood for ~ 1 day.
- An additional 2-3 mL H2O was added to each solution to aid the dissolving of the PVOH
- Heat was reduced when solutions began to boil too rapidly
- While transferring solutions to Teflon dishes, loss of sample within the small beakers (sample loss = incomplete sample transfer)