To crosslink the films prepared last class, to try the new reaction with (S)-(-)-(3-Chloro-2-hydroxypropyl)trimethylammonium chloride, and to run DSC on our samples.
- Heat 5 beakers with 100 mL of 0.7 M HCl
- Once heated to 70 °C add the five films.
- Heat the films for 1 hour
- Prepare 5 solutions of 1.68 g sodium bicarbonate in 100 mL water
- Rinse the films in distilled water, then place in sodium bicarbonate solution.
- Allow to soak in bicarbonate solution for 15 minutes.
- Rinse films in distilled water and then dry to run DSC.
(S)-(-)-(3-Chloro-2-hydroxypropyl)trimethylammonium chloride Reaction
- Measure out 4 samples of 2 g PVOH (MW = 22,000)
- Measure out 0.85779 g (S)-(-)-(3-Chloro-2-hydroxypropyl)trimethylammonium chloride. Place in 5 mL 0.2 M NaOH prepared last class)
- Actual amount used = 0.8581 g
- Transfer 0.5 mL, 0.05 mL, and 0.005 mL into 9 mL, 9.9 mL and 9.99 mL 0.2 M NaOH, respectively (this means the 10% film will be slightly less than 10% but we can still calculate what percentage)→ using 10 mL b/c were doing 2 gram scale. For 1 g scale use 5 mL.
- Place the 4 samples of PVOH in 5 mL
- Allow to soak in the NaOH for 30 minutes
- Add 1 sample PVOH to one of the ammonium chloride samples and allow them to mix for 1 hour
- If the PVOH is still soluble in NaOH, add acetone to precipitate it out. (keep water to a minimum)
- Then do a quick wash with ice water to get precipitate out extra ions
- Add data and results here...
This area is for any observations or conclusions that you would like to note.
Use categories like tags. Change the "Course" category to the one corresponding to your course. The "Miscellaneous" tag can be used for particular experiments, as instructed by your professor. Please be sure to change or delete this tag as required so that the categories remain well organized.