- Cathal Garvey
- IndieBiotech.com - Enabling Biotechnology for Amateurs
- Cork City, Ireland
- You can find me on Twitter
- You can also find me at Diaspora
- And, I have a personal blog where I sometimes post non-IndieBiotech stuff.
- Email me through OpenWetWare
I've joined OpenWetWare to contribute protocols and standards that are useful to amateurs and undergraduates, and to share information on my activities at Indiebiotech.com at a more granular level than I share on my blog there.
- 2007, BSc (Genetics), N.U.I. Cork
- Synbio platforms tailored for individuals; novel selection methods and equipment-minimal protocols
- Localised production of medicines; an "antibiotic suitcase" for the global village
- A self-replicating laboratory platform, inspired by the Reprap/Fablab
Validating a custom-designed, high-stability, high-capacity, antibiotic-selection free plasmid for Bacillus subtilis, intended for Open Source development and routine use by amateurs or professionals.
- Dremelfuge, an Open-Source Hardware microcentrifuge rotor using common rotary tools that can be printed locally or purchased cheaply.
- Appearances at Newcastle Maker Faire 2010 and Newcastle Maker Faire 2011, co-hosting with Brian Degger and Jonathan Street.
- Ad-hoc Microbiology Workshops at Cork Lifelong Learning Festival and at Mindfield.ie in 2011.
- 5-day Synthetic Biology Crashcourse at Science Gallery, Dublin.
- "Bacteria Up Close", a curated selection of Wikipedia articles covering the physiology and genetics of bacteria.