Talk:CH391L/S13/Synthetic Meats and Organs
Gabriel Wu 17:51, 25 March 2013 (EDT): As part of the motivation for "shmeat", it's fair to outline the specific controversies with real meat. A little time line might be neat. Things to include can be Sinclair's Jungle, taco bell beef controversy, IKEA horse controversy, and the PETA prize awards.
- Kevin Baldridge 17:51, 25 March 2013 (EDT):Do synthetic meats have to be exercised?
- Catherine I. Mortensen 17:55, 25 March 2013 (EDT): Would most synthetic meat end up being similar to spam...?
- Catherine I. Mortensen 17:52, 25 March 2013 (EDT): Do you have an idea how long it took to grow the transplanted trachea and other synthetic meats for that matter?
Evan Weaver 16:56, 25 March 2013 (EDT): In "The Controversy" section, can you add units to the 36.4 number? Is it a ratio?
Yunle Huang 18:49, 25 March 2013 (EDT):A company called Modern Meadow is trying to make a meat printer. Here, you can see one of the co-founders cooking and eating a sample live. In the video, he gives examples of demand: vegetarians who care about the way animals are treated, and religions that prohibit killing of certain animals. Another co-founder also does a reddit AMA that I found interesting.
Neil R Gottel 14:10, 26 March 2013 (EDT):That Winston Churchill quote is real, in case anyone was wondering (since Churchill has a slew of quotes misattributed to him). It comes from a fairly long article that appeared in a couple different magazines (something called Strand Magazine, and Popular Mechanics). Here's a copy of it. Perhaps more relevant to our class is this line, which appears a few sentences before the synthetic meat line: "Microbes, which at present convert the nitrogen of the air into the proteins by which animals live, will be fostered and made to work under controlled conditions, just as yeast is now."
- Evan Weaver 17:05, 26 March 2013 (EDT): Here's a cool video where some researchers take a rat lung and use it to grow human tissue. The decellularized lung looks kind of cool.
- Jeffrey E. Barrick 12:13, 27 March 2013 (EDT):Sid, you MUST provide attribution for the images that you are reposting. Also, be careful about the copyright of images.