Talk:20.109(F12) Pre-Proposal: Engineering Viral Magnetic Nanoparticles for Magnetic Hyperthermic Cancer Therapy
- This is a brainstorming page.
You are very welcome to write any crazy / non-crazy / inventive / conventional / knowledgeable ideas or information you may have about our project.
Some key words:
- Magnetic Nanoparticles (MNP)
- Magnetic Hyperthermia
What is Magnetic Hyperthermia?
How it works?
- Clinical trials in prostate cancer
Current Limitations (This information will help us shape and define the problem.)
(1) To achieve the necessary rise in temperature with minimal dose of MNP.
- In other words, this means:
- High specific loss power / specific absorption rate (SLP) of the MNP.
Biomedical potentials of MNP
Types of Relevant Viruses
- Tobacco Mosaic Virus (TMV)
- 18nmx300nm in dimensions
- Can withstand high temperatures up to 50C for 30mins (conventional hyperthermia involves heating up to 50C from an external source
- Safe for human consumption
- Mann group has active research on it
- M13 Bacteriophage
- 6.6nmx880nm in dimensions (Length is too long - pose an issue in targeting cells)
- Lots of research done by the Belcher group, including attaching MNPs to M13 for imaging purposes
- We are familiar with the system
Current Work in Viral MNP Attachment
What we propose to do
- "The actual rotations of the nanoparticles are disordered because the microviscosity of the local environment in cancer cells is not constant, and effective elasticity depends on the binding conditions between nanoparticles and membranes."
- but this is actually present because when treatment is done with individual MNPs, one side of the MNP is always bound to the targeted cell, so direction is never constant!