Talk:20.109(F12) Pre-Proposal: Engineering Viral Magnetic Nanoparticles for Magnetic Hyperthermic Cancer Therapy
- This is a brainstorming page.
You are very welcome to write any crazy / non-crazy / inventive / conventional / knowledgeable ideas or information you may have about our project.
Some key words:
- Magnetic Nanoparticles (MNP)
- Magnetic Hyperthermia
What is Magnetic Hyperthermia?
How it works?
- Clinical trials in prostate cancer
Current Limitations (This information will help us shape and define the problem.)
(1) To achieve the necessary rise in temperature with minimal dose of MNP.
- In other words, this means:
- High specific loss power / specific absorption rate (SLP) of the MNP.
(2) Lack of knowledge about the metabolism, clearance, and toxicity of MNP.
Biomedical potentials of MNP
- Could be used as early detection for the following using MRI:
- Drug Delivery
- Cellular labeling and tissue targeting
- Purifying and separating cells and DNAs
- Transfection by magnetic nanoparticles
- Tissue repair
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
Types of Relevant Viruses
1. Tobacco Mosaic Virus (TMV)
- 18nmx300nm, helical
- Can withstand high temperatures up to 50C for 30mins (conventional hyperthermia involves heating up to 50C from an external source
- Safe for human consumption
- Mann group has active research on it
- 2130 molecules of coat protein
2. M13 Bacteriophage
- 6.6nmx880nm, helical (Length is too long - pose an issue in targeting cells)
- Lots of research done by the Belcher group, including attaching MNPs to M13 for imaging purposes
- We are familiar with the system
3. Cowpea chlorotic mottle virus (CCMV)
- 26nm, icosahedral
4. Cowpea mosaic virus (CPMV)
- 27nm, icosahedral
5. Brome mosaic virus (BMV)
- 28nm, icosahedral
6. Turnip yellow mosaic virus (TYMV)
- 30nm, icosahedral
Current Work in Viral MNP Attachment
Attachment of MNPs to M13 phage for in vivo imaging of prostate cancer
What we propose to do
See flowchart sketch.
We will start with using ferritin (Fe3O4) as the MNP.
- Experimenting with double layer MNP to increase response
- Target other cancerous cells
- "The actual rotations of the nanoparticles are disordered because the microviscosity of the local environment in cancer cells is not constant, and effective elasticity depends on the binding conditions between nanoparticles and membranes."
- but this is actually present because when treatment is done with individual MNPs, one side of the MNP is always bound to the targeted cell, so direction is never constant!
(1) Gupta AK, Naregalkar RR, Vaidya VD, and Gupta M. Recent advances on surface engineering of magnetic iron oxide nanoparticles and their biomedical applications. Future Medicine. 2007. 2(1), 23-39. (2) Bakoglidis KD, Simeonidis K, Sakellari D, G. Stefanou, and Angelakeris M. Size-Dependent Mechanisms in AC Magnetic Hyperthermia Response of Iron-Oxide Nanoparticles. IEEE Transactions on Magnetics. 2012. 48:1320-1323.