Silver: Time-Lapse Microscopy
Back to OpenWetWare protocols
Back to Silver Lab protocols
Back to Silver Lab
1. Microwave 2% agarose (mix of low-melt and normal, to taste) in Thorn media (see below).
2. Apply 2mL to a 24x60 mm coverslip.
3. Cover with additional coverslip, creating a sandwich. Let cool for 30 minutes. (1h seems to work better)
4. Grow 5mL culture in Thorn media to OD 600 = 0.3. Back dilute if necessary.
5. Centrifuge at 2000 rpm for 2 minutes. Resuspend in 1mL Thorn media and transfer to a 1.5mL eppendorf tube.
6. Spin in a microfuge for 15 seconds to pellet. Resuspend in 100-200 µL Thorn media.
7. Once cooled cut a 5x5 mm square from the agarose pad. Apply 0.2 µL of cells to the top surface.
8. Invert square onto a glass-bottom imaging dish. Add a few drops of water to the dish (for moisture), and cover edges with parafilm.
Standard media except with low-fluorescence yeast nitrogen base.
(Yeast nitrogen base without riboflavin and folic acid.)
- 5 g/l (NH4)2SO4
- 1 g/l KH2PO4
- 0.5 g/l MgSO4
- 0.1 g/l NaCl
- 0.1 g/l Ca2Cl
- 0.5 mg/l H3BO4
- 0.04 mg/l CuSO4
- 0.1 mg/l KI
- 0.2 mg/l FeCl3
- 0.4 mg/l MnSO4
- 0.2 mg/l Na2MoO4
- 0.4 mg/l ZnSO4
- 2 µg/l biotin
- 0.4 mg/l calcium pantothenate
- 2 mg/l inositol
- 0.4 mg/l niacin
- 0.2 mg/l PABA
- 0.4 mg/l pyridoxine HCl
- 0.4 mg/l thiamine
(Sheff MA, Thorn KS. Optimized cassettes for fluorescent protein tagging in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast 2004; 21: 661–670.)