Recommended by Molecular Cloning as the best of the SYBR dyes from Molecular Probes.
- Ten-fold more sensitive than ethidium bromide.
- Greater dynamic range.
- Penetrates gels quickly.
- Stains both DNA and RNA in conventional neutral polyacrylamide and agarose gels and in denaturing gels using urea, glyoxal or formaldehyde.
- Stain gels post-electrophoresis because SYBR Gold likely binds the charge phosphate backbone of nucleic acids altering the electrophoretic mobility significantly. (DNA bands can come out curved).
- Low background so no destaining is necessary.
- Can be excited at by standard transillumination at 300nm.
- Stained nucleic acids can be transferred to membranes for Northerns or Southerns.
- Doesn't inhibit most enzymatic reactions except PCR. PCR is sensitive to high dye concentrations. Address this issues by adjusting Mg2+ concentration or remove stain via ethanol precipitation.
- Very expensive
- Supplied at 10,000X concentration in anhydrous DMSO.