Please place tips that you learn up here.
You can use the <gallery> tag to quickly create a nicely formatted image gallery. See here for an example.
If you don't want something to appear on the printable version of the page, use
<div class=noprint>This will appear on wiki but not on printable version</div>
This is useful to avoid printing banners or other things that may take up a lot of ink.
Google searching OpenWetWare
To do a google search of OpenWetWare, do one of the following
- Type your query followed by "site:openwetware.org" in any general google search box.
- Type your query in the search box on the left and click search. Scroll to the bottom of the search results page and you will find a google search box for OpenWetWare.
Better RecentChanges Viewing
Go to the preferences menu and go to the recent changes/stub dislplay section. Click Enhanced Recent Changes. This groups changes on the same page together. This provides better viewing of changes, especially when people (drew!) save many times while making changes. --Sri Kosuri 20:26, 18 Sep 2005 (EDT)
in URLs use hex ASCII values with % in front (%5B == left square bracket)
- http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/topics/urlencoding.htm - converter to URL-safe encoding
in text use HTML character references/entities:
- Wikipedia:Help:Special_characters - instructions
- special character codes:
- Special character searching test
[[Image:filename|options]] [[Image:Westminstpalace.jpg|thumb|100px|left|The Palace of Westminster]]
Options: right, left, center, none, sizepx, thumbnail (thumb), frame, and alternate (caption) text. An unknown option is taken as the caption text. If there are two or more unknown options, the last one upstages the rest.
Bug 539: Allow images that link somewhere other than the image page. Use $wgAllowTargettedImages=true; in LocalSettings.php when available.
~~~ produces Patrick
~~~~ produces Patrick 10:58, 20 Jul 2004 (UTC)
~~~~~ produces 08:41, 25 Jul 2004 (UTC)