OpenWetWare:Steering committee

From OpenWetWare

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
-
The OpenWetWare Steering Committee is charged with leading the future direction of OpenWetWare.  The steering committee is '''open to all OWW members, and we are actively seeking participants'''.  Please add yourself, or email any of the members for further information.
+
''This is an in progress version for the SC page -- please add anything that you think is missing]]''
 +
the old version can be found [[OpenWetWare:Steering Committee/Old version|here]].  
-
'''Working on a [[OpenWetWare:Steering Committee v2|new version]] of this page, please help out.'''
 
-
=Members=
+
The OpenWetWare Steering Committee is charged with leading the future direction of OpenWetWare.  The steering committee is '''open to all OWW members, and we are actively seeking participants'''.  Please email admin (at) openwetware (dot) org to be added to the mailing list.
-
This list shows current members that are on the Steering Committee.  The email address is sc AT openwetware DOT org .  We welcome any help that you may be able to contribute, so if you are interested in joining, please contact [[Sri Kosuri]].
+
-
<showhide>'''Current Members List'''__HIDER__
+
-
<hide>
+
-
*[[George Ahunov]], RPI
+
-
*[[Satya Arjunan]], Keio
+
-
*[[Joseph Borg]], University of Malta
+
-
*[[Barry Canton]], MIT
+
-
*[[Austin Che]], MIT
+
-
*[[Sean Clarke]], MIT
+
-
*[[Caitlin Conboy]], MIT
+
-
*[[John Cumbers]], Brown
+
-
*[[Drew Endy]], MIT
+
-
*[[Danielle France]], MIT
+
-
*[[Jeff Gritton]], MIT
+
-
*[[Maureen Hoatlin]], OHSU
+
-
*[[Martin Jambon]], Burnham
+
-
*[[Jason Kelly]], MIT
+
-
*[[Tom Knight]], MIT
+
-
*[[Sri Kosuri]], MIT
+
-
*[[Natalie Kuldell]], MIT
+
-
*[[User:Lucks|Julius Lucks]], Harvard
+
-
*[[Stephan Meister]], Imperial
+
-
*[[Alex Mallet]], MIT
+
-
*[[Kathleen McGinness]], MIT
+
-
*[[Jenny Nguyen]], UT-Austin
+
-
*[[Venkata Satagopam]], EMBL
+
-
*[[Reshma Shetty]], MIT
+
-
*[[Devin Strickland]], U of C
+
-
*[[Ilya Sytchev]], MIT
+
-
*[[Ty Thomson]], MIT
+
-
*[[User:Yeem|Mike Yee]], MIT
+
-
*[[Razib Othman]], UniTekMa
+
-
*[[Eric Patridge]], Penn State U
+
-
</hide></showhide>
+
-
=[[OpenWetWare steering committee/SC retreat|SC retreat]]=
+
==Action Items for this month==
 +
*Reddit trial. (cumbers, lucks)
 +
*Make "Edit Sidebar" button for customization. (austin?)
 +
**'''[[User:Jasonk|Jasonk]] 14:02, 3 September 2006 (EDT):''' I think we can just have this link be on the sidebar by default: [[Special:Mypage/sidebar|edit your sidebar]]
 +
*Vote on front page! (everyone)
 +
**New [[Main Page|front page]] is up.
 +
*Finalize infrastructure strategy (Ilya, Sri, Jason)
 +
**'''[[User:Jasonk|Jasonk]] 13:53, 3 September 2006 (EDT):'''Going with rackspace.com, waiting for MIT to approve the PO.
 +
*Look over and comment on the list of [[OpenWetWare:Steering committee/Goals|SC goals]].
 +
==Suggested items for next SC meeting==
 +
''Please post any topics you would like the SC to consider at the next meeting -- you don't need to be on the committee to post something here!''
 +
*'''[[User:Jasonk|Jasonk]] 17:23, 4 September 2006 (EDT):''' Make it easy to make an OWW page compliant with [http://postgenomic.com postgenomic] so it can get aggregated there.
 +
*'''[[User:Jasonk|Jasonk]] 17:28, 4 September 2006 (EDT):''' Statistics and survey guru.  Might want to have someone who keeps an eye on trends on the site.  this could range from surveys of people are using the site as [[OpenWetWare:Steering committee/Goals|was suggested previously]], to looking over [[OpenWetWare:Software/Site analytics|site analytics]] (which will come with new hosting service), or to just tracking site statistics (number of users, number of labs, etc).  This sort of information could help the SC make more informed decisions.
 +
*'''[[User:Rshetty|Reshma]] 10:12, 5 September 2006 (EDT)''': I've been trying to work on a [[Help:Hosting courses|tutorial on how to host courses on OWW]].  Feedback/help welcome.
 +
*'''[[User:Jasonk|Jasonk]] 07:59, 7 September 2006 (EDT):''' Should we have an officially sanctioned forum area?  Could be a stopgap until the "liuquid threads" or whatever gets included in mediawiki...
-
=Hot items=
+
==Meetings==
-
These are the specific areas in each project that could use more help or are currently being discussed/debated.  Please join in!
+
-
*[[OpenWetWare:Steering committee/Long term planning discussion]] - This is an ongoing discussion about the long-term goals for the steering committee.  In particular, how do we ensure OWW is maintained indefinetely.
+
-
*[[OpenWetWare:Software/Distribution]] - an OWW-branded wiki distribution for groups/labs using private wikis.
+
-
=Project Descriptions=
+
''Meeting time/date is 2nd Thursday of the month, Noon-1 pm Eastern Time at MIT.  We have teleconferencing set up, so if you are interested in calling in, please let us know. (admin (at) openwerware (dot) org''
-
==Funding==
+
<showhide>'''Notes from previous meetings'''__HIDER__
-
To help ensure the long term viability of OpenWetWare we hope to secure funding. 
+
<hide>
-
 
+
*Prior to the committee formation, there were ad-hoc discussions on OWW development:
-
*[[OpenWetWare:Funding]] - list of funding options
+
**[[OpenWetWare:Meeting notes|Old meetings]]
-
*[[OpenWetWare:Steering committee/NSF BDI Grant]] - application planning page
+
**[[OpenWetWare:Ideas|Ideas page]]
-
*[[OpenWetWare:Steering committee/501(c)3]] - status of application for non-profit status
+
-
*[[OpenWetWare:Steering committee/Long term planning discussion]] - This is an ongoing discussion about the long-term goals for the steering committee.  In particular, how do we ensure OWW is maintained indefinetely.
+
-
 
+
-
==Software development==
+
-
*[[OpenWetWare:Software]] - portal for all software related discussions
+
-
*[[OpenWetWare:Software/Ideas]] - roadmap for upcoming software improvements
+
-
*[[OpenWetWare:Software/Distribution]] - an OWW-branded wiki distribution for groups/labs using private wikis.
+
-
===People===
+
-
[[George Ahunov]], [[Barry Canton]],  [[Austin Che]], [[Sri Kosuri]], [[Jason Kelly]], [[Alex Mallet]], [[Ilya Sytchev]]
+
-
 
+
-
=== Meetings ===
+
-
*[[OpenWetWare steering committee/Software development meeting 3-8-06|3-8-06 meeting]]
+
-
 
+
-
==Community Development==
+
-
The success of OpenWetWare depends critically on cultivating and maintaining an active user base.  We plan to dedicate funds to enable tutorials, conference visits, advertising, and other mechanisms for recruiting new users to OpenWetWare.  We also will begin an [[OpenWetWare:Seminar Series|OpenWetWare seminar series]] hosted at MIT.  This series would discuss perspectives on open practices and communities in science.  We feel this would be important for two reasons.  First, it would highlight groups and individuals in science actively striving to accomplish some of the same goals as those of OpenWetWare (e.g. PLoS, Science Commons, etc.) Second, it would provide an amazing opportunity before every talk to introduce OpenWetWare to others.
+
-
 
+
-
===People===
+
-
[[Barry Canton]], [[Danielle France]], [[Jason Kelly]], [[Sri Kosuri]], [[Reshma Shetty]]
+
-
 
+
-
===Current status===
+
-
*Had the first OWW Seminar Series talk: [[Seminar Series/John Wilbanks|John Wilbanks]]
+
-
*[[OpenWetWare steering committee/Community development ideas|Community development ideas]]
+
-
*Revamped the [[OpenWetWare:Community Portal|Community Portal]]
+
-
 
+
-
==Promotional Material/Advertising==
+
-
In order to help promote OpenWetWare, we will need a range of promotional material including business cards, logos, information pamphlets, posters and banners. 
+
-
===People===
+
-
[[Jeff Gritton]], [[Lisa Joslin]], [[Sriram Kosuri]], [[Jenny Nguyen]], [[Ty Thomson]]
+
-
===Current status===
+
-
*Chose a logo / poster / site color scheme, see [[Logo and Poster Discussion | logo and poster discussion]].
+
-
*[[OpenWetWare steering committee/Promotional material ideas | Promotional material ideas]]
+
-
 
+
-
==[[OpenWetWare steering committee/Data management |Data Management]]==
+
-
In the long term, the success of OpenWetWare relies on the assumption that the number of users actively curating the information of OpenWetWare will scale with the amount of content generated.  However, there has been little work to examine how collaborative tools can best be used to develop information resources, such as the OpenWetWare protocol collection.  We believe the project would benefit dramatically from the active establishment of community standards for organizing content in OpenWetWare.  We will establish a UROP position to evaluate and implement templates and other methods for organizing information in OpenWetWare.
+
-
 
+
-
===People===
+
-
[[Jeff Gritton]], [[Jason Kelly]], [[Sriram Kosuri]], [[Jenny Nguyen]], [[Reshma Shetty]]
+
-
 
+
-
===Current status===
+
-
* We have a UROP -- [[User:Jennyn|Jenny Nguyen]].
+
-
*[[OpenWetWare steering committee/Data management |Data Management ideas]]
+
-
*[[OpenWetWare steering committee/Data management meeting minutes 2/21/06|Data management meeting 2/21/06]]
+
-
 
+
-
==Integration with laboratory classes==
+
-
To complement its mission to promote an open culture in biological science and engineering, OpenWetWare will be integrated into the curriculum of laboratory classes.  As a pilot experiment, MIT's [[BE.109 | BE.109 Laboratory fundamentals of biological engineering]] will be relying heavily on OpenWetWare to disseminate course content and to serve as a shared space for students, TA's and instructors to communicate.
+
-
 
+
-
===People===
+
-
[[Natalie Kuldell]], [[Reshma Shetty]]
+
-
 
+
-
===Current status===
+
-
*See the [[BE.109 | BE.109 course OWW site]].
+
-
*[[OpenWetWare:Courses|Discussion on OWW integration with classes]]
+
-
*'''Update:'''  Overall the course integration seems to be working reasonably well.  While the BE.109 site is not being edited at a very high frequency, the edits that have been made are useful and high quality.  The same appears to be true about [[BE.180]].  Having the site on a wiki also seems to facilitate all the instructors and TA's for the course contributing to course content.
+
-
 
+
-
=Meetings=
+
-
 
+
-
'''Steering committee meetings are held on the second Thursday of each month, 12-1 pm EST, in 32-262.''' <br>
+
-
*Conference calls are possible using the [http://web.mit.edu/is/services/telecommunications/audiobridges.html MIT audio bridge conference calling]. Please check the meeting agenda for the phone number to call; it can change from meeting to meeting.  For the March 6 meeting, we'll stick to a conference call.  But 32-262 also has teleconference capability.  If you would like to teleconference in, let us know and we'll try to set it up for future meetings.
+
-
 
+
-
==Minutes and Agendas==
+
*[[OpenWetWare:Steering committee/Meeting - 1/6/06 |1/6/06]]
*[[OpenWetWare:Steering committee/Meeting - 1/6/06 |1/6/06]]
*[[OpenWetWare:Steering committee/Meeting - 1/26/06 |1/26/06]]
*[[OpenWetWare:Steering committee/Meeting - 1/26/06 |1/26/06]]
Line 122: Line 39:
*[[OpenWetWare_steering_committee/SC_retreat |7/25/06 Steering Committee Retreat]]
*[[OpenWetWare_steering_committee/SC_retreat |7/25/06 Steering Committee Retreat]]
*[[OpenWetWare:Steering committee/Meeting - August 2006 |8/10/06]]
*[[OpenWetWare:Steering committee/Meeting - August 2006 |8/10/06]]
 +
</hide></showhide>
 +
*[[OpenWetWare:Steering committee/Meeting - September 2006 |Nest Meeting - 9/14/2006]]
-
 
+
==Subcommittees==
-
'''New meeting time/date is 2nd Thursday of the month, Noon-1 pm Eastern Time.'''
+
[[OpenWetWare:Funding|Funding committee]]
-
 
+
-
*Prior to the committee formation, there were ad-hoc discussions on OWW development:
+
-
**[[OpenWetWare:Meeting notes|Old meetings]]
+
-
**[[OpenWetWare:Ideas|Ideas page]]
+

Revision as of 07:03, 7 September 2006

This is an in progress version for the SC page -- please add anything that you think is missing]] the old version can be found here.


The OpenWetWare Steering Committee is charged with leading the future direction of OpenWetWare. The steering committee is open to all OWW members, and we are actively seeking participants. Please email admin (at) openwetware (dot) org to be added to the mailing list.

Contents

Action Items for this month

  • Reddit trial. (cumbers, lucks)
  • Make "Edit Sidebar" button for customization. (austin?)
    • Jasonk 14:02, 3 September 2006 (EDT): I think we can just have this link be on the sidebar by default: edit your sidebar
  • Vote on front page! (everyone)
  • Finalize infrastructure strategy (Ilya, Sri, Jason)
    • Jasonk 13:53, 3 September 2006 (EDT):Going with rackspace.com, waiting for MIT to approve the PO.
  • Look over and comment on the list of SC goals.

Suggested items for next SC meeting

Please post any topics you would like the SC to consider at the next meeting -- you don't need to be on the committee to post something here!

  • Jasonk 17:23, 4 September 2006 (EDT): Make it easy to make an OWW page compliant with postgenomic so it can get aggregated there.
  • Jasonk 17:28, 4 September 2006 (EDT): Statistics and survey guru. Might want to have someone who keeps an eye on trends on the site. this could range from surveys of people are using the site as was suggested previously, to looking over site analytics (which will come with new hosting service), or to just tracking site statistics (number of users, number of labs, etc). This sort of information could help the SC make more informed decisions.
  • Reshma 10:12, 5 September 2006 (EDT): I've been trying to work on a tutorial on how to host courses on OWW. Feedback/help welcome.
  • Jasonk 07:59, 7 September 2006 (EDT): Should we have an officially sanctioned forum area? Could be a stopgap until the "liuquid threads" or whatever gets included in mediawiki...

Meetings

Meeting time/date is 2nd Thursday of the month, Noon-1 pm Eastern Time at MIT. We have teleconferencing set up, so if you are interested in calling in, please let us know. (admin (at) openwerware (dot) org <showhide>Notes from previous meetings__HIDER__ <hide>

</hide></showhide>

Subcommittees

Funding committee

Personal tools